fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out on center street in Salt lake just yesterday (That street is west of the Capitol Bldg) around 400 North. On the sidewalk strip I saw what looked like someones unfilled dig holes. I investigated a little further and found a crude plug cut out of the grass and half assed thrown back in the hole. Yes, these strips are city property, but if this keeps happening, we wont be able to hunt these either. So I say to the individual who is doing this, Stop your Bull**** and fill in your holes properly. If you cant do that, get the hell out of the hobby and find something else that is destructive you enjoy doing. DO NOT ruin it for everyone else that fills in their holes properly and leaves no trace. I will upload the pics when I get home from work tonight. Rant over.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like that someone needs an attitude adjustment. Maybe a blanket party is in order.

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
Had the SAME experience this weekend. Was in the avenues hitting up permissions. Between permissions we were hitting up strips, and noticed partially filled plugs with torn-up dead grass on top, not even packed. After investigation, we also found that these people REBURIED their trash!

I go out of my way to even bring a hydration pack to water my holes in order to prevent the grass from dying, so this type of activity drives me nuts! In addition, my brother (who had only been out a few times) voiced his concern about destroying yards with this hobby. Ugh.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had the SAME experience this weekend. Was in the avenues hitting up permissions. Between permissions we were hitting up strips, and noticed partially filled plugs with torn-up dead grass on top, not even packed. After investigation, we also found that these people REBURIED their trash!

I go out of my way to even bring a hydration pack to water my holes in order to prevent the grass from dying, so this type of activity drives me nuts! In addition, my brother (who had only been out a few times) voiced his concern about destroying yards with this hobby. Ugh.

Thats not good. The person reburying his trash is probably the same moron from libert park that was reburying trash.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seeing this issue, among others, where I live as well. There is a park a block from my house. It's a very old park with continuous use since the mid-1800s. Unfortunately, you can't hunt it per the city - surface hunting only. My gal has texted me that she has seen people hunting in the park, which drives me crazy, but when I've walked the dogs in the park with her, I am seeing HUGE holes in the ground with mounds of dirt half-a**ed thrown in, sloppy cuts, trash on the sides of holes and all the things that we are NOT supposed to do.

I'm not sure why I would expect people who hunt where you aren't supposed to to practice good metal detecting habits, but it is all around driving me bonkers. In a situation like this, one bad apple CAN spoil the whole darn bunch.

I do wonder if what they found was worth trashing a park though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread