✅ SOLVED Okay I found an agate well several agayes. Would like to do something with them. Are they worth anything like this? Is this worth polishing or cutting

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Recent Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20220919_175713600_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220911_181256300.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220919_175738980_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220919_175738980_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disregard second photo that is a different one.

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your best bet is Ebay bid, you'll get what someone is willing to pay for them. I see bands but I can't help but think carnelian, so carnelian agates are what you have.
I couldn't help myself and I would cut one open with my tile saw lol. Nice finds.
I completely missed you saying disregard the second picture, can you take a closer up picture of that stone?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely missed you saying disregard the second picture, can you take a closer up picture of that stone?
I don't know why the photos are not clear on this site.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some more.

Attachments

• IMG_20220911_180902925.jpg
    IMG_20220911_180902925.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220911_180812562.jpg
    IMG_20220911_180812562.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 1

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some more.
If you can face one of them, tile saw works, those look really cool, I'm betting they'd make some nice slabs and cabs.
Economy isn't the best but again Ebay bid will be your vest bet, after you face one send me a picture, I'll help you with what you should start the bidding at. Fair warning, new sellers have a harder time selling. You might not get as high of bids until you have some good reviews.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can face one of them, tile saw works, those look really cool, I'm betting they'd make some nice slabs and cabs.
Economy isn't the best but again Ebay bid will be your vest bet, after you face one send me a picture, I'll help you with what you should start the bidding at. Fair warning, new sellers have a harder time selling. You might not get as high of bids until you have some good reviews.
Yeah I don't have a tile saw. Where I am located and after lots of reading I understand that finding these were possible so I set out to find one. Now I have found many and don't know what to do with them. Where can I find someone to reveal the intricacies of these stones. Maybe swap some out for the labor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I don't have a tile saw. Where I am located and after lots of reading I understand that finding these were possible so I set out to find one. Now I have found many and don't know what to do with them. Where can I find someone to reveal the intricacies of these stones. Maybe swap some out for the labor.

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a local lapidary club, most will slab them for you for 1$ to 3$ a slice. Fair warning, you'll be dealing with older folks and it will take them a while to get to your stuff, be patient, I've learned that from experience lol.
Also maybe look into joining, I tried but I'm too young, atleast the places near me, you have to be over 45, one of them over 50 smh, there is some other places but I'm not looking for a road trip everytime I want to do some work with my stones.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a local lapidary club, most will slab them for you for 1$ to 3$ a slice. Fair warning, you'll be dealing with older folks and it will take them a while to get to your stuff, be patient, I've learned that from experience lol.
Also maybe look into joining, I tried but I'm too young, atleast the places near me, you have to be over 45, one of them over 50 smh, there is some other places but I'm not looking for a road trip everytime I want to do some work with my stones.
Fishing is what I have mostly invested in over the decades. So I am not impatient. Wish I could find someone here but that is unlikely. Those types of organizations don't exist here. I have many excellent samples but at this time not looking to spend the money for a personal challenge I set for myself. I would like to help a person who will not abuse the information on where I made these finds. This is a nodule abundant location where most of the stones are similar to many locations around the country but shouldn't be here like I have found them. Awesome place and have many permissions to hunt and gather. Wish you were around here for you have helped guide me as best you can. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20220924_163139478.jpg
    IMG_20220924_163139478.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220924_163118259.jpg
    IMG_20220924_163118259.jpg
    844.1 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Illinois has 16 individual rock and gem clubs. There are members in all those clubs who have the tools to cut your agate. Just a matter of finding out when they have a meeting and going for a visit.

Search under the Resources/Gem and Mineral Clubs at the Land Matters Library to get the websites and contact information for those clubs.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Illinois has 16 individual rock and gem clubs. There are members in all those clubs who have the tools to cut your agate. Just a matter of finding out when they have a meeting and going for a visit.

Search under the Resources/Gem and Mineral Clubs at the Land Matters Library to get the websites and contact information for those clubs.
I have many hours searching the Internet and have not ran across this site. True rock collectors with knowledge along with the passion would love this place. I have little knowledge about this, but have the drive and passion. Losing the drive because their are very little resources available to help identify what I have found. Blue clay seeping out of the ground, there is nothing to help find out why here. I understand the composition but not why it's here of all places. Thanks for the information, I will keep you posted on what I find out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is very irritating to search and not understand what I am looking at. It maybe very simple but still nothing. No response from the universities or anything. Just frustrating.

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very irritating to search and not understand what I am looking at. It maybe very simple but still nothing. No response from the universities or anything. Just frustrating.
Google lapidary club near me. 👍

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google gem and mineral club, there are several in IL. All ones in my area have members of any age, I guess they must be different by Steve in AZ. I am a lapidary, but the mail thing is a pain, you should be able to find somebody closer who would do the work. The one shown with the voids would be hard to cut or make cabochons from, but the solid ones should cut well. Nice looking stuff!!

Upvote 1

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is very irritating to search and not understand what I am looking at. It maybe very simple but still nothing.
The Land Matters gem and mineral club search a very simple tool. Go to:

1. Click on the tab marked "RESOURCES" (outlined in red below).

2. Choose "Gem and Mineral Clubs" from the drop down list.

3. Type in the name or abbreviation of the state or place you want to search for clubs in the search box (outlined in red below).
You can type in "Illinois" or "il" to see all the clubs in Illinois (16) or just hit the search button, leaving the search box blank and you will get all the gem and mineral clubs in the U.S. (501 total).

Search.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google gem and mineral club, there are several in IL. All ones in my area have members of any age, I guess they must be different by Steve in AZ. I am a lapidary, but the mail thing is a pain, you should be able to find somebody closer who would do the work. The one shown with the voids would be hard to cut or make cabochons from, but the solid ones should cut well. Nice looking stuff!!
Thanks you all for your help. I sent a message to the site suggested and hopefully will find something out this week.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
D

dugin

Apr 6, 2013
southern IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/3 coil pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you all for your help. I sent a message to the site suggested and hopefully will find something out this week.
Hey I know the address thing is touchy subject but I am willing to send a couple of few samples which you can keep all I want in return is some pictures.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread