Old ANCIENT BALL FIELDS

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any HINTS on how to find these types of fields. I do not mean just Professional but all old fields. I have tried searching LOC and newspapers.com but am not having much luck in locating there places where they played. I think Baseball was played in America around 1845 to 1850 when it started. If anyone has any ideas i sure would be THANKFUL !!!!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare,the only things I know are to search old maps and the like, if aerial photos are available the baseball fields stand out with their diamond shape,old maps often show old schools which could have had a baseball field.Then you have to do some talking with old timers who might remember the field and it,s location. Got an old American Legion nearby?Baseball fields were integral to Legion activities.If you can find old County maps they often have more detail about schools,churches and actual fields than State maps.Keep in mind if you find them on old maps you still have to find that area today which probably looks totally different.But you knew that I,m sure. Don,t forget old football fields.I hope this is a help to you,and not more confusing.Good luck in your search.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was an old school and ball field near me in the 1870's. School was torn down eventually and the cemetery took over the ground. No digging in the cemetery!! It kills me every time I drive by there.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a FUNNY TERM to use when driving by a cemetery LOL

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
Gare ..... The

Topographic Maps are a way I found a Race Track from 1901 that lead me to a $5.00 gold Coin and hundreds of Barbers and Indians Heads.... Go find and search Historic Topographic Maps It wont get you back the the 1850s but it will get you back to the early 1900s. FInd them study them and good luck.... Jim​

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Years ago, I made a trip through Nevada to seek out any place that once had a grandstand; horse tracks, drag stripes, baseball diamonds, etc. I did research before beginning and thoroughly enjoyed ten days scouting those areas. To my surprise, not all the sites were covered in concrete.

Suggestion: Pick a location you wish to search then contact the local (city or county) Historian (through the local library's Reference Section).They have always been most helpful to me.
Don....

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare,the only things I know are to search old maps and the like, if aerial photos are available the baseball fields stand out with their diamond shape,old maps often show old schools which could have had a baseball field.Then you have to do some talking with old timers who might remember the field and it,s location. Got an old American Legion nearby?Baseball fields were integral to Legion activities.If you can find old County maps they often have more detail about schools,churches and actual fields than State maps.Keep in mind if you find them on old maps you still have to find that area today which probably looks totally different.But you knew that I,m sure. Don,t forget old football fields.I hope this is a help to you,and not more confusing.Good luck in your search.
I was going to recommend talking to old timers until I realized I am one and don't know a thing.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
There's a small village I used to live in and the house across the street from us was built on a lot that an old bank had burned down.

The new owners often find coins in their garden plot, I was given permission to search the area but all I found was nails.

We have since moved to another small village, that had two schools and couple of churches. I have not searched any of these prospects.

Shortly after we moved to this location the bar had a fire, was mostly boarded up but heard some kids had entered the remains and scored coins from the cigarette machine.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly Every Day that Goes by, That Info gets Farther & Farther lost to time.
Here Most of these Ball fields in the 1800's were in Farmers Fields, and on Coal Banks.
The exceptions were Larger Cities and Villages that had their Own Governments.

Most I've heard about Here were Never Nailed down to Exact Spots , Just a General Direction and Location. Old Historical Newspapers and Histories May help on Occasion,

However in Most Small Towns they never needed to Add the Location.
Everyone & Their Brother Automatically Knew Who Did What & Where in the 1800's

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is so true Jeff i was just hoping someone might have a few more ideas !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread