OLD BENTWOOD BOXS MARK THE LOST SPANISH MOUND

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OLD BENTWOOD BOX'S MARK THE LOST SPANISH MOUND

I found this old box, it has not moved and may have never been seen since it was placed, hundreds of years ago. it is empty BUT HAS BONES UNDER IT AND 6 BOARDS BEHIND IT.
Its green because It has been used by otters as a bathroom. i HAVE FOUND MANY AND SOME HAVE BONES in them , i could use help figuring out the the maker of the box. i know its older then 1735 but that's all. I'm guessing its a crate of a ship, its small, 2 feet by 14 inches, it is made with dove tails and dowels , the open part is hinged [BENTWOOD] . The top, behind it, is made so its water proof when closed up. I think its a shipping crates, from an old ship. I am not going to rule out viking ship boxes.
if you are confused about the words "dem boards "pm me and i will tell you the code.

this box seems to be marking a cave that was filled in. it is just a over hang with a tiny cave behind it.

Attachments

• openbox.jpg
    openbox.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 4,978

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: OLD BOX

You want to know the maker of a 18th century box with no marks on it?

Its George Birthwright master boxmarker, Baker Street, East London, Feb 1776.

Does look like a ship's cargo box.

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

here is another one, they are old empty boxes with one side open. This is bone dry and is deep in a cave.

Attachments

• empyyboxes.jpg
    empyyboxes.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 4,623
OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i just threw 1735 in there, just a guess. actualy the cops dated some of dem boards near the first box. these beads came from a home stead on the next island. i found a spike and these beeds where around it. 10 inches down sitting on a burnt layer.

Attachments

• beadss1.jpg
    beadss1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 6,030

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007

Does nto seem to me like a box from the 1700s would be in such good shape when left exposed for over 200 years. :-\

sanford.

Aug 3, 2005

Otter droppings alone would have rotted the wood if it had been exposed to the elements for 200+ yrs. Not to mention weather and insects.

Ralphw

May 26, 2003
long island ny
Detector(s) used
white's dfx Bounty hunter landstar

try and pull one of the nails out and get a clear close up picture of it

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the holes are from wood dowels, the first box is protected under a over hang and the second box sites deep in a cave , done dry.

Attachments

• DOWELS.JPG
    DOWELS.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 9,291
OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

its dowels from the third box. ;D

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

THE BOXES DO seem to be made of 1 board, but if you look on the second box you can see where the top and botom board are lashed togather. here is a picture of dowls from lose smaller boards, they look like small treasure box boards. wishfull thinking

Attachments

• dowlsclose.jpg
    dowlsclose.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 6,248
  • moreboards.jpg
    moreboards.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 6,200

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.

I agree with lumbercamp. I found a box tucked into a niche in the rocks,that looked like yours.But the one I found still had the Dupont stencil on it.Dynamite,60% nitroglycerine,dated 1939. I took the Dynamite out(IT WAS DAMP!) and brought the box home.
Was there any mining ever done where you found it?

Ralphw

May 26, 2003
long island ny
Detector(s) used
white's dfx Bounty hunter landstar

can you get a close up or 2 of that second pic?

where those long 5 or 6 straight grooves are and down in the middle where the lines kind of form a v

looking at those pictures they are definitely old at least 80 to 100 I would guess without seeing it up close.

most of the old dynamite boxes I have seen are thicker 3/4 and finger joined at the corners. not saying that this isn't a
dynamite box just different than the norm if it is.

what part of the country is this?

are there any train tracks near by?

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

Those boxes are very old. I am interested to find out more. Have you done any detecting around where these boxes are?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread