Old Bible found.

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
498FC129-6743-41E0-AA2D-52C971FF01CE.jpeg

90588B02-4034-429F-8FAA-C6EA99476080.jpeg

So, I was cleaning out my storage room today. While I was cleaning it out, I found this. It is a Bible. No date on it. It looks very old, though. While I was looking at it, I discovered something that hints to its age. It was written in the back of the Bible.

B4A7E231-794B-42B7-9A6B-0CA03DC1D424.jpeg

“God be merciful to me a sinner
Born 1882
Born again 1903
He loved me that he gave himself for me.”

Whoever first owned this Bible was born in 1882, and was born again, or baptized, in 1903.

This thing is OLD. I would guess between 1880 and 1900s.

I also found a bookmark in it stating the 10 Commandments.

I have a special shelf and display cabinet where I put antique and vintage scriptures. I’ll put it in there.

Well, that’s all. It was an amazing find to me. I hope you found it amazing too.

Jared

Upvote 36

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
View attachment 2017207

View attachment 2017210

So, I was cleaning out my storage room today. While I was cleaning it out, I found this. It is a Bible. No date on it. It looks very old, though. While I was looking at it, I discovered something that hints to its age. It was written in the back of the Bible.

View attachment 2017211

Born 1882
Born again 1903

Whoever first owned this Bible was born in 1882, and was born again, or baptized, in 1903.

I have a special shelf and display cabinet where I put antique and vintage scriptures. I’ll put it in there.

Well, that’s all. It was an amazing find to me. I hope you found it amazing too.

Jared
Love it 😀

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Always nice to find things which have been "personalised", but it can't be as old as Victorian. There are dating clues in the frontispiece from the Royal Arms.

Reading the quarters of the armorial shield, you have the English lions, the Scottish lion, the Irish harp, and the English lions repeated. There’s no inescutcheon for Hanover in the centre. That puts the armorial after the accession of Queen Victoria in 1837 and, since the frontispiece refers to “His Majesty’s Special Command”, it will most likely have been printed during the reign of Edward VII (1901-1910), although the same arms were still in use until 1952.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always nice to find things which have been "personalised", but it can't be as old as Victorian. There are dating clues in the frontispiece from the Royal Arms.

Reading the quarters of the armorial shield, you have the English lions, the Scottish lion, the Irish harp, and the English lions repeated. There’s no inescutcheon for Hanover in the centre. That puts the armorial after the accession of Queen Victoria in 1837 and, since the frontispiece refers to “His Majesty’s Special Command”, it will most likely have been printed during the reign of Edward VII (1901-1910), although the same arms were still in use until 1952.

Thanks for pointing that out! I appreciate it!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2017207

View attachment 2017210

View attachment 2017211

Born 1882
Born again 1903

Jared
Very Cool!!! Congrats on the find!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2017207

View attachment 2017210

View attachment 2017211

Born 1882
Born again 1903

Jared
That is really precious...to find writing like that makes it very personal and relevant...and still sharing his/her faith through your discovery. :)
Thank you for posting that!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, this Bible looks very old and probably around the beginning of the 19th century.

Welcome to Tnet,.

It can't be before the beginning of the 20th Century since the British Royal Arms used by the printer in the frontispiece can be dated to not earlier than 1901. The reference to His Majesty's Special Command, then puts it not later than 1952 (see post #5).

Last edited:

PastorBillV

Jul 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2017207

View attachment 2017210

View attachment 2017211

Born 1882
Born again 1903

Jared
Sorry for being late to add my congrats. I didn't see the post until today! Awesome find! I've had a couple of old Bibles given to me, but unfortunately, with no history to go with them, I can only image someone long since enjoying the glories of heaven with no need for it anymore! :)

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2017207

View attachment 2017210

View attachment 2017211

Born 1882
Born again 1903

Jared
Now there is THE treasure.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see someone has one for sale on ABE Books for $231

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say, I am a little surprised. I started the thread on March 22 last year. I didn’t expect there to be more replies.

I appreciate all the input.

Still, it’s nothing compared to my great great grandfather’s Danish Book of Mormon, with notes written in shorthand. That is an important piece of family history.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an old Bible that was retrieved from my granddads house. I remember dragging it out often where it sat in his house in an old upstairs hallway that full of old stuff he never did go through. As a youngster I remember some of the images in it were kind of scary to me. I found out that Bible's like this, were sold by peddlers across the country. They had an episode on Antiques Road Show were someone had a verity of embossed bible book covers similar to what I have. The appraiser said they were samples of covers a peddler would take from house to house to pitch a sale of these bibles and offer different covers to their prospects. The appraiser mentioned also the sellers of these rather thick fancy covered bibles, was most likely a successful sales campaign during the last quarter of the 19th century, as he had seen many of these type bibles come in to be appraised and therefore were not worth a whole bunch.

Attachments

• 20230311_050816.jpg
    20230311_050816.jpg
    764.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230311_051040.jpg
    20230311_051040.jpg
    812.2 KB · Views: 9

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing more precious than the word of God to me. Very cool find!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
tamrock,
Interesting back story to the Bible cover.
BTW, the image is linked to Genesis 3:24.
As punishment for abusing his trust, God drives Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden. Angels are given the task to guard the Tree of Life. Adam and Eve are on their own from now on.
This is one of the hundreds of beautiful Bible prints made by Gustave Doré.
Don in SoCal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions