Old Button

jmilan84

May 15, 2011
Found this button at my old house and never got around to trying to figure out what it is and where it is from. It has latin (i think) around the outer edge, with a shield/crest in the
middle. " MON NO THVRICENSIS CIVITATIS IMPERIALIS " this is what is on the coin. It looks like its brass but I could very well be wrong. Any help with ID would be GREAT!! thanks! Having trouble trying to post a pic, will figure it out and post pictures.

OP
OP
J

jmilan84

May 15, 2011
THIS IS THE PICTURE OF THE BUTTON I HAVE. ANY HELP WOULD BE A HUGE HELP!! THANKS!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 1,020

z6joker9

Jul 9, 2011
Hey buddy, I found your post when searching for a replacement button for an old blazer. The button is from an Oscar De La Renta sportcoat. I purchased it at what was Belk at the time, roughly 10 years ago. Not sure how long they used this style of button. Mine popped off a couple of years ago while tailgating at the grove in Oxford, MS. (yes, our school dresses up for tailgating).

If it is from the front (and not the cuff) I would love to buy it from you, assuming I cannot find another somewhere online!

tiffmess

Aug 15, 2011
Hi! I actually found this button a few days ago in an antique shop. I thought it looked neat to use for some crafts I do. Anyway, I was trying to find what the inscription means. What I found was it is actually a copy of an old Zurich coin and it means "new coin from the imperial town of Zurich".
If he isn't willing sell his, I am;)

z6joker9

Jul 9, 2011
Hey there, I actually sent him money a month ago, but I haven't received the button or a response to the emails (he responded quickly before payment). I wanted the button for a jacket I wanted to wear for my honeymoon cruise next month. If I don't get a response in a couple of days, I'll be happy to reverse the payment to him and buy it from you instead. Thanks!

z6joker9

Jul 9, 2011
If anyone stumbles across this thread from a search engine or something, I would still like one of these buttons. My original purchase from jmilan did not work out (he eventually mailed it to me in a white envelope, so I received an empty envelope with a hole in it). Still have a beloved old jacket with a missing button :(

jen760

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still looking for this button?

If anyone stumbles across this thread from a search engine or something, I would still like one of these buttons. My original purchase from jmilan did not work out (he eventually mailed it to me in a white envelope, so I received an empty envelope with a hole in it). Still have a beloved old jacket with a missing button :(

I just found this button along with a bunch of other old stuff stored away... are you still looking to buy one?

thineownself

Mar 18, 2013
NW USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this button along with a bunch of other old stuff stored away... are you still looking to buy one?

hi, jen760! if you see this- almost a year later... I'd take a button (or two, if ya had 'em- so there's less of a concern with it matching mine exactly!) if you still had it kicking around... ReubenL1 --at-- hotmail --dot-- com
if it's about 3/4" in diameter, 'domed' in profile, and has the lions (or whatever those are?) on it... mine is also from a second-hand (thrift-store score) Oscar de la Renta blazer-thing.
here's the one I have left:
IMG_2618-800x.jpg

and I found a few listings on "a popular auction site" for just the buttons, if anyone wants to go that route- a complete set of 10 for 19 bucks including shipping... I just didn't want to spend that much money, since I only want one or two. that said- if someone else buys a full set, and wants to sell me just one or two...

eBay 160988927170.jpg

I found these by searching using the terms "civitatis" and "imperialis" plus "oscar" and "buttons". hope this helps...
thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of curiosity how much are antique buttons worth? My great grandmother had a thing for buttons and had gallon jars full of them. I used to love dumping them out and going through them. Came across many beautiful ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread