Old church site

mjb Mike

Feb 10, 2021
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an old church site From the coins and what Im finding there it seems as if it was there at least early 1800 and was gone buy early 1900.Could have been there earlier not sure.There are about 50 shallow unmarked graves there with the exception of 3 have just a flat stone to mark them.The church is gone now and the woods have grown back.Ive found the old bricks in the ground were it was.Its were I grow up and would love to be able to find out and tell the story and history of who is burried there and of there church.It is significate to me because its were I grow up.I just feel all those people there should not be forgotten and have there story should be told. I have searched the internet for hundreds of hours and cant find anything except one old map showing a church there.I dont know were else to go to find out who these people are and info on the church history.I know there is a wealth of info on this site and would love some help on were to go and how to research this Thanks

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I might be able to get you started with some research but you'll have to tell me the exact location of the site.

If you don't want to publish the location on this forum, you can send me a PM with the info.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with your local historical society. Mine has reproduction maps of my county from 1854 and 1875 plus a map of all the colonial houses and churches. I'd hunt that place to death, I have done well at colonial church sites in my area although most are still standing and in use. They also may have local history books written years ago telling about the church and cemetery. There are two books on the history of my county, one written in the 1800s, one in the 1930s, full of fantastic info, might well be a book about your area too.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
An "Uncle" used to tidy up old cemeteries and started an even bigger project regarding them.

Anyways , try https://www.findagrave.com/ for ideas . Starting within your state.

Here's within the site to find by state.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an old church site From the coins and what Im finding there it seems as if it was there at least early 1800 and was gone buy early 1900.Could have been there earlier not sure.There are about 50 shallow unmarked graves there with the exception of 3 have just a flat stone to mark them.The church is gone now and the woods have grown back.Ive found the old bricks in the ground were it was.Its were I grow up and would love to be able to find out and tell the story and history of who is burried there and of there church.It is significate to me because its were I grow up.I just feel all those people there should not be forgotten and have there story should be told. I have searched the internet for hundreds of hours and cant find anything except one old map showing a church there.I dont know were else to go to find out who these people are and info on the church history.I know there is a wealth of info on this site and would love some help on were to go and how to research this Thanks
Your local library may have a copy of a county history or town history you could borrow, or, as someone mentioned, the local historical society will have them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread