Old English coin

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
Found this a couple of days ago. It was nan eyeball find, sort of. We were tearing apart an old travel trailer and this was in a nook or cranny, not sure which. It was wrapped in a small Seagram's velvet bag.
I don't know anything about these coins, but here it is:
100_0804.JPG 100_0805.JPG

Is there a way of telling if it is real? Value? I'm pretty sure the nickle is real and worth about 3 cents.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Az Old Noob

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
Thanks for the response. Doesn't really feel like pewter, I don't think it feels right for silver, either. Kind of feels like aluminum.
I took about 30 pics of this thing, but these were the only two that didn't come out completely blurry or dark.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably a replica then as silver will have a distinct sound when you drop it on a hard counter.

BTW, what does your avatar say? I can only see "Your wife called, she said it was OK to buy an ..." :dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Az Old Noob

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
Yeah, it doesn't feel right or sound right, but I had hopes.

The avatar is a sign that was in front of a gun shop. It says Your wife called, she said it was ok to buy an AR15.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL I had to zoom in on my iPhone to get the last couple words. I hope it turns out to be real, but still a nice replica. I found a Spanish cob on an island once with my detector and when I finally cleaned it up I saw the word "Replica" :laughing7: At least your coin looks like the real deal!

Yeah, it doesn't feel right or sound right, but I had hopes.

The avatar is a sign that was in front of a gun shop. It says Your wife called, she said it was ok to buy an AR15.

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost certainly a replica / copy. The planchet looks much to thick be a hammered coin of this period and the lettering and portrait details are much to rounded not as linear and angular as they should be for this kind of coin, leading me to think that this is a cast moulded copy. Cool little thing to find though.
George

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, easy to tell copy.

OP
OP
Az Old Noob

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
Yeah I thought it may be a fake, but I've never played with one of these.
It made my day to find it, so not a total loss.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread