Old excalibur coil wore deterioration

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur (Sword Model) Tesoro Cibola (With GB Mod)
Old excalibur coil wire deterioration

Recently pulled my old original Excalibur Sword model that has been in storage a few years. This one had a 10" tornado coil installed before I bought it. I have pulled it out only to charge the battery over the years. Gave it a good charge, cleaned it up and it works perfect as always.

Only problem is the black coil wire has disintegrated in places exposing the inner wiring. I wrapped the exposed areas with electrical tape.

I was wondering if there is any flexible tubing available so I can do a better repair.

I checked lowes but didn't see anything. Any ideas on something to use?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to put it in the water tape by itself want protect it. How much is cracked, small spots, big spots? You can wrap it tightly in tape, then spray it with several coats of plasti-dip, a spray rubber coating. Keep in mind if it leaks the cable can act like a syphon and if the end cap resin has any leaks it is straight to your mother board.

Was it stored in air conditioning or in garage or shed? Long periods of heat can damage the cable sheathing as well as not washing the detector off real good with hot water after being in salt water, mine always go in shower with me.

On return from beach I highly recommend you treat the cables with a spray on silicone treatment like used on scuba gear, nothing petroleum based, must use vegetable base silcone, spray on, let it sit 10-15 mins then wipe off excess... Since sheathing is starting to peal it will continue.

You may need to replace the coil, cables are not designed to be replaced.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only see two fixes that will hold up to the treatment a Excalibur will encounter. First choice ..replace the coil, second would be repair the coil by replacing the cable. Not very hard but you do have to have some soldering skills.

Many years ago I tried patching, wrapping, and even covering with shrink wrap tube that had a sealant. All your doing is buying time and putting the machines electronics in danger. In time those temporary fix's can possibly allow water to weep into the control pod or coil itself. A Good chance, End of Detectors Life, specially if it is saltwater.

The Minelab repair center is very fast on repairs, your looking at 300.oo for a coil replacement....and I would recommend them checking the O-rings. Last I heard they do work on the sword models but limited.

If you go the repair the cable yourself, by replacing it will run you about 40.oo for supplies. And I would say the cable I recommend will outlast any cable on the market, even the stock cable. I can post some pictures of "HOW To" if you want. And parts list.. ..I've replaced many cables over the years and yet to have a return.... I need to do a video on the repair someday.

attachment.php

One of the replaced cable machines in action.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Robinb

Feb 10, 2016
In the sun
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 and
Excalibur II with 15" NEL coil
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Would be great to see how you access the cables to replace.
I thought it was all sealed at the coil end ?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Repaired many of these over the years and specially 2018/19, its very hard now to find a stock coil. Of all that I have repaired yet to have a fail. And I no longer do repairs on coils or machines. I'm a hunter now..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

one of the cables I have used to replace the bad coil wire.

attachment.php

Attachments

• coil repr.jpg
    coil repr.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    767.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 161
  • 20210111_194224.jpg