Old find repaired

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this cross in a field this past summer. When I dug it, it was totally black with tarnish, I brought it to a jeweler to confirm it being silver (it is) because it is unmarked. The hoop was broken so I had the repaired and I had a bail added so I could wear it. Anyone have any guess as to its age? Thanks for the help!!!

I was 6” down and about 75 yards away from old mill ruins dating back to the 18th century.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    721 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 204

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks nice Bob. No idea on how old but very worthy of displaying. Wear it well. Nice.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Silver find Joe!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea on the age, but it sure is a nice cross well worth getting fixed...:occasion14:

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful Cross! Awesome that you restored it. Congrats

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found some unmarked coin silver pieces that I know date to about 1840. Sterling in the US started to be marked in the mid 19th c, so I think it is safe to estimate that this beautiful cross is at least pre-CW and could be older. Most sterling was consistently marked after the Civil War.

Good decision to repair this beautiful old piece. The style looks right for pre-CW too. IMO, it is banner worthy, even lacking provenance or a little more site history. It is the finest crucifix I have seen on tnet and it is my honor to nominate it for banner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found some unmarked coin silver pieces that I know date to about 1840. Sterling in the US started to be marked in the mid 19th c, so I think it is safe to estimate that this beautiful cross is at least pre-CW and could be older. Most sterling was consistently marked after the Civil War.

Good decision to repair this beautiful old piece. The style looks right for pre-CW too. IMO, it is banner worthy, even lacking provenance or a little more site history. It is the finest crucifix I have seen on tnet and it is my honor to nominate it for banner.
Thanks for the banner vote but I don’t think it’s banner worthy. The spot I found it near was a cider mill for a very long time, only other things I could date from the spot was a braided hair large cent, a draped bust large cent (1804 or 7) a 1883 IHP. I have pulled marked silver rings, earrings and pendants from there but this cross really stuck out. I’ve never dug silver jewelry that black, I’m wondering if it’s a higher percentage than .925

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well worth it Joe amazing that's a really nice relic. Happy today my friend. Tommy

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've found a few crosses over the years but never a sterling silver example. :occasion14:
Yours is a real beauty and definitely worthy of being restored and displayed.

Kudos to you for resurrecting it Bob! :thumbsup:
Dave

Attachments

• image-crop.jpg
    image-crop.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 144

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great save, find, and restoration on the old crucifix Joe Dirt. A True Beauty of a find. Wear it well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread