✅ SOLVED Old Flat Button Need Help to I.D.

TheRake71

May 23, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this small old button which has some words on the Back. I cannot make the words out, so, I was hoping somone might recognize the markings and tell me what it says, and possibly, how old this button is? Thanks!

DSC01255.JPG DSC01256.JPG

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't make out the backmark from your pictures, but from the look of the shank on it I would guess it is around 1820 to 1850s.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
My guess would be Rich Gold Colour. If this is right, with the English spelling of color (with a U), I think the timeframe on them is generally 1810-1830. My understanding is that by 1830 we started making enough buttons here that the imports (from England) slowed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TheRake71

May 23, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are correct, I did make out the word gold, and I thought i saw the word color as well. It was my first find that wasn't clad or junk metal, so, while it's not huge, I think it's cool that it's dates so far back. I dug it up near a reservoir that used to be an old mill town. it will definately keep me diggin! Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just speaking up to give additional confirmation, everything Nhbenz told you is correct:
1- Backmark is "Rich Gold Colour"
2- The backmark's spelling of the word color means it is British-made.
3- Time-period of that indented-lettering backmark on 1-piece brass flatbuttons is 1810-1830s.
4- Importing of the British-made ones diminished greatly when American button-makers became capable of mass-producing them.

Just in case you don't already know... these brass 1-piece flatbuttons with a plain/blank front were made for use on civiliam clothing, although a few did get used on Militia uniforms.

By the way, I see you are brand-new here, so... Welcome to Treasurenet's What-Is-It forum, the best place on the internet to get accurate identification of your unknown relics and other objects.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread