old florida railroad track??

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
Hi Malady, after reading this thread I think that you found the east entrance to the Green Swamp Wildlife management Area.
It's open all year to fishing and frogging hence the signs and there is a camping area there and some slob hunters do abandon trailers from time to time leaving the wildlife guys to get rid of them. Also there is an old logging tram not too far inside the gate that heads west through the head waters of the withlacoochee river. I used to turkey hunt that tram for many years. beautiful woods in there.
Hers's the map of the place showing the tracks that are now the Van Fleet Trail and the Green Swamp entrance just west of there. The map calls the road Rock Ridge not Green Pond, but if you look on Google Earth they become one and the same.

Attachments

• GS.jpg
    GS.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2,822
OP
OP
malady

malady

May 28, 2007
Florida
Thank DR.
That is it! Thanks for posting the map. I didnt know the name of it or what it all was about. So im assuming we can go there metal detecting, seems more harmless than those abandoned campers out there. I didnt know there was a river in there but I guess there should be since it did mention fishing but i didnt venture too far back in there. Do you think there is anything out there worth detecting since you have already know somewhat of the area you might know.
thanks again.
malady

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
Your quite welcome Malady, glad to be of service.
I have no clue if there is anything there but my motto is YA NEVER KNOW.
The rule book for the area does not mention metal detecting, but the property is state owned so chapter 267 of the FL statutes applies.
Good luck in your adventures. Here is the link to the area rules.http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma/2006-07/Southwest/Green_Swamp_letter_20060209.pdf
DR

neo2868

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesero Tiger Shark
malady, this is the long haired guy you met at the beach party back in august with deepsix, I was the one that found the russian coin, I was just wondering ... the ghost town you were refering to would it be green pond? I live in Lakeland and have thought of hunting that one as well as a couple of others we have around here. like the old Indian town tolopchopko about 1/2 mile south of lake hancock, I know of several in the area and even a couple not published (the mines own the property now) Even have a map of the original as well as the second fort in fort meade overlaid on a somewhat modern map... im just waiting to get the gas money to go to some of these sight , oh and I have to recooperate from neck surgery in mid january (down for six to eight weeks and not allowed to lift more than 5 lbs... my md weighs alot more than that) but anyways if you are in this area and your husband and you wouldnt mind a little company on one of your hunts I wouldn't mind sharing some of my info in exchange.

OP
OP
malady

malady

May 28, 2007
Florida
Hi there,
Yes it is Green Pond, in fact I was near there last weekend end on the van fleet bike trail. I havent been to the tracks though lately where I found the old railroad spikes. Let me know when your in the area and I can try to work it where we can be there too.
malady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread