Old foundations over the years, what to look for

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those that research old early settlers homesteads, this could be-for you. If anyone could explain to the learning detector folks what the different times or eras of foundations looked like, stone, cement or other. We can all learn explain or send photos or recommend a book. This type of detecting can be very exciting because rewarding, why because most folks don’t like to enter woods or what to look for. I’m sure we will get a lot of opinions and explanation, thankyou

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poured concrete foundation means it's recent (1950's and up). Stone foundation with concrete used to construct it means it's older (early 1900's up to 1950's). Foundation made with stones and no concrete is definitely pre-1900 and could be as early as 1700's. That's how I judge the age of a cellar hole I find in the woods.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that is correct. Just skip the concrete ones.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou very much

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
In the Midwest, if the house is gone look for a rosebush or similar planting. Many women planted them for a little cheer and many have survived. The roses - not the women.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Midwest, if the house is gone look for a rosebush or similar planting. Many women planted them for a little cheer and many have survived. The roses - not the women.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

So true! Roses, or any kind of decorative plants. I don't know their names (I was never big on learning different plants), but you know it when you see them in the woods, as they are out of place compared to every other living thing, especially in Spring when blooming starts. I'm always on the watch for them. They can be growing in the same place even as large trees have taken over the area where a house once stood.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

I might add... take notice of other types of plants etc.

Patches of barley... ANY vegetables... berries... fruits... olive trees and even... believe it or not... Vines.

This not only denote human activity... but these above mentioned can go back to Spanish first waves.

Last edited:

mope540

Jun 29, 2011
Yonder
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X1 probe, SEF 8X6 coil.

AT Gold, 5X8 coil, Garrett PP

Equinox 800, 6" coil

Oldest coin to date...1829 large cent
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At some sites that I hunt the foundation area is easy to spot because it is sunken. Probably filled with dirt or building debris that has decomposed and settled over time.
Other sites have raised areas where brick homes were torn down and the foundation was filled with bricks that won't settle.

Poured concrete foundation means it's recent (1950's and up). Stone foundation with concrete used to construct it means it's older (early 1900's up to 1950's). Foundation made with stones and no concrete is definitely pre-1900 and could be as early as 1700's. That's how I judge the age of a cellar hole I find in the woods.

Yes, that is correct. Just skip the concrete ones.

Generally, yes...but not always the case.

A nearby late 19th - early 20th century home that i had looked at to possibly purchase had a foundation made of concrete. The forms were made of 10" wood planks (they had to be fairly thick). The wood grain patterns and the lines from the seams between the boards were very obvious. The entire foundation is like that, so it wasn't a patch job. Probably not a very common method used. It was very neat, and new to me. I should have taken some pics while i was inside.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out east look for English ivy in the middle of nothing, daffodils or snowdrops in spring and catnip plants. Sometimes asparagus growing wild. That includes Pennsylvania.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s very hard to find the actual spot of a settlement, yes a real early map can show you a spot, well pack up go searching, those things you mentioned are a start but some are basically gone, wells, silo, cellar so hard. All I can say is get close as you can, detect in all metal, hope to get iron , nails , anything that can say your close then start digging and hopefully find the house, barn, horse buggy entrance. This is only thing you can do it’s work folks, dam weeds and old trees can be so bad , the rest is up to you. I will say this if you start finding stuff, that means one thing nobody detected it yet which is great, I’m learning to after all these years nobody expert

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and really old ones can have no cellar at all - they built log cabins right on the ground
these are the hard ones to find - you have notice the square or rectangular depressions in the ground
these are some times easier to see when snow is on the ground -but not deep snow

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't always discount a concrete our concrete/cider block foundation as being newer locations:

1st: Occasionally, the house was jacked up and replaced with these newer foundation materials. Some old stone foundations, like the house i live in now, are collapsing in on themselves and were replaced.

2nd: We all have observed this as we pass by a newer house sitting next to 100+ year old barn and silo. Often the original houses were replaced by newer ones and sometimes even those "newer" houses that replaced the original cabin are gone by now.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
In my signature I have posted 2 videos of my foundation. I don’t know how to put the 2 together to make one, sorry. Anyway, this property was first purchased in 1832. The video starts at the creek where I have found bottles. Then I track back up the hill to show the source of the bottles. At around 3:30 there’s a better shot of the remaining foundation. All of this is stone until you get to the top. In the 2nd video you will see a concrete porch and sidewalk. I hope this gives a visual of what you are trying to explain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread