Old Grave near Hillsboro, NM

Feb 8, 2008
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-Fisher 2 box & others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unknown grave.jpg ...lonely grave out in the middle of no place! Nice Iron Work, must a been well off at the time or somebody really cared.

Last edited:

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think i saw it north of copper flat???????????

OP
OP
evans233
Feb 8, 2008
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that is where it is. It's a part of an old cemetery out there. There are also some faint rock piles and outlines where others were buried too. Very sorry looking place at the high part of a hill. There is also what's left of a ghost town not too far from there. Not much there either. I think the town was called " Golden" ? But I'm not sure. Maybe somebody reading this can tell us more! I can't find any information about the town. There is the remains of a big old Hotel there! I used to know the name of it, but I can't remember anymore. Man, you just don't want to get old! Must have been really something in it's day! I have found some small gold nuggets in the stream that now goes right through town. ( maybe it always did? ) I talked with some people who were dry panning with electric/car battery type "shakers" and they showed me a very nice piece of wire gold that they recovered while I was watching! I have some portable panning machines that I like to take out there...way too hot in the summer though! I got some very nice "silver" ore out of that "Copper Flat" mine. There were'nt any no tresspassing signs, so I went in there and poked arount a bit. It is a facinating place for sure! I still have 4-5 five gallon pails of ore that I brought back from there! I like to crush it up and run it through my gold recovery machines at home in the winter! They use a leaching process to retrieve the ore in that mine. It has a large green pond in the bottom. They spray that acid ( whatever...) all over the inside walls down there and it leaches out the ore where it carries it to the pond. Sure would be fun to sneak a copper anode down there for a while and then go back to get it later! I would think a guy could capture a bit of gold that way! I don't think from what I have read on the internet that they will ever open that mine back up again. That leaching acid that they spray on the rock can burn you! Don't anybody go out there and hurt themselves or fall off a cliff. I don't want anyone blaming me if they get hurt, so maybe you should stay at home and be safe.

This message brought to you by the good housekeeping Council of America for Safe Leadership Principles. For more information on how to protect yourself, please contact OHSHA or the Childrens Safety and Health Group Service Commitee of America CSHGSCA.

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I PLAN ON BEING OUT THERE END OF SEP. OR FIRST PART OF OCT. I HAVE A DRY WASHER WITH GAS OPERATED ENGINE AND WOULD LIKE TO PARTNER UP WITH SOMEONE IN THAT AREA THERE IS A 80 ACRE CLAIM JUST PAST THE GRAVEYARD A LITTLE WAY'S I CAN HUNT ON FOR $1.00 A DAY IF ANYONE IS INTRESTED PLEASE LET ME KNOW.I AM 71 YEAR'S OLD AND WORK VERY SLOW.

Giddy Up

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2014
Detector(s) used
Panning at present
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like one of the old graves out in Gold Dust. I use to live there in the late 50's early 60's in house on top of the hill.
I think this picture was taken back in the late 70's.
House in Gold Dust, N.M. - Copy.jpg

That grave looks very familiar!

Last edited:
OP
OP
evans233
Feb 8, 2008
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Giddy UP,
Wow, you lived there! I guess you might know the name of the old ghost town and the name of that Hotel that was built there? Surely you can post some interesting information about the place!
Got any more pictures?

Giddy Up

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2014
Detector(s) used
Panning at present
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
evans233, That sure looks to me like one of the old graves there in Gold Dust. Never said the "Camp" part as refereed to it now days when we lived there. So, guess the now proper term is Gold Dust Camp. (yuck~still sounds off to me)
The Nunn Ranch was a working ranch back then. Their cows roamed freely all over Gold Dust. I "think" the old hotel was there, near, or on the ranch too. Used by the ranch hands back when I was there. But, it was still there!

Ol'man Sarge, as we called him, a German fella, lived kinda across the hill from us on top of a flat hill. He lived in a long rusty red spooky looking metal house. Always in his dark clothes and combat boots. He really kept to himself. Not overly friendly.
Fella by the name of Bybee and his sons built his boarded camp down from us on the hill. We watched that "new" place go up. Real friendly folks and later in the yrs him and my Dad became mining partners on some claims out from Silver City. They kept in touch for many years.

Ol' man Sellars lived back on down the road a spell from us. He lived in his metal shack and besides his gold he collected cats! Didn't wanna drink from his water well, found a big ol rat in the bucket once~nope~ no sir, not for me! I use to call him ol'man Sardine. I think him and all his cats lived off of sardines and crackers.

Past Ol'man Sellers place ya could give a shout out to Ol'man Ray Erdmound (sp?) at his place. His lil'adobe place. Retired painter, steady hands and always in his painting clothes. His is hat, I'd know it was him from a mile away. He couldn't see to well any more, but he was sure proud of his new jeep to drive around. He was one fine fella, I tell ya. He got a real kick outt'a showing me how to pan for gold before I ever started school. I took to it real seriously. Some where I have that picture. He finally got his sluice box set up that every time a gully washer came...let's just say he was ALL smiles then:) Last visit with him was @1972, when I rode with my Dad up there. He followed us back down to the Interstate and bought me a pop from the store there, as he'd done many times before. Complained about that interstate going through to T or C now. Didn't like changes. He continued to use the old road. Never would change his wristwatch when day light saving time rolled around either. Sure hated those good-byes. We all getting older, and I just felt this time leaving would have more permanence to it. Think he felt it too. Heard they found him at his gulch, died from a snake bite. Gold Dust not the same without him.

Keep on going down the road from Ol'man Ray's and come on around the bend and ya come to Ol'man Davis dug out. Sure liked when we went to visit with him. He lived in a cave!

No offense meant by calling all these former prospectors Ol'. :) During our time there, my Dad was refereed to as that young fella.

On top our lil hill we could see for miles. We'd see the dust a stirring and grab the binoculars and try to figure out if it was us fixing to have the company coming. My Mom would have a coffee and food ready for them by the time then drove up. Except for that time some fella's from Houston dropped in by helicopter. Sat out on the porch in the evening till the those dern tarantulas chased us back inside. Then we watched 'em from the screen door. Turned the radio on for stories till bed time.

I went to school in Hillsboro. Mrs Hale was my teacher. Always been my favorite. I was in first row=1st grade, second row=2nd grade....ya get the drift. The lady that cooked in the cafeteria got oven cleaner in her eye, wore a patch over her eye, forever it seemed like. I still wonder how that terrible incident turned out for her. Have a picture (some where) of us school kids out in front of that big bell we rang each day after we said the pledge of allegiance. Snow days was hot chocolate days till your folks picked ya up. Oh, and don't get me started on those times my older brother would drive that mountain road getting me to school!!!!
Found a humorous note during one of our visit back to Hillsboro and heard the old school was then an old folks center :)

My Dad made us a pretty good living prospecting there in Gold Dust. Seen my one and only sidewinder snake there too. We got to watch him from across the gulch from where my Dad had his sluice rig up at. Pretty fast, pretty cool to watch too.

I'll have to go digging for my pictures now. My apologizes for this being so long. Good'ol memories to me. My best childhood years were right there in Gold Dust and Hillsboro. Take a kid there now and they'd be ready to leave before the vehicle stopped, lol.
Known some of the good'ol'prospectors from back when, got a lot of mining stories and many memories. Not too many pictures though. Ya know the words changes, modernize and progress didn't have much meanings there - then.
Didn't even touch base on the stories about Ol'man Schoonmaker or Ol'man Bill Sterling. Ol'man Bill Sterling became a steady patron at the old Hillsboro saloon. Reckon that's gone too now? Lost Ol'man Bill and his talking dog when he went off the road there at the Percha Creek bridge.
They are all gone now, but not forgotten.

Well, I'll shut up now. Thanks for letting me chat and rant.

Giddy Up

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2014
Detector(s) used
Panning at present
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
evans233, If you will google Gold Dust Camp, N.M. and then click on Ghost Towns and Mining Camps of New Mexico. The direct link is too large to post here.
The picture of that white building, I am thinking those were right near by where the hotel was at.
I do remember those in that picture still being there when I was.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Giddy Up, Your above story of yesteryear was excellent! Some years ago my brother and I drove from MInnesota to New Mexico for a little metal detecting. We did this in the spring for 2 weeks for 6 straight years. We detected Hillsboro and I found the best item I've ever found in 23 yrs of metal detecting.....a Lake Valley saloon token. Lake Valley moved once and is now located about 12-15 miles S E of Hillsboro and there it burned in 1893. Lake Valley is now a "Ghost Town" and is now under BLM (?) control....NO metal detecting there. It seems that there is another Lake Valley abour 250 miles N N E of Hillsboro. Do you remember the old brick 'courthouse' in Hillsboro....it's now in shambles due to the movement to another city in Sierra Co.....T or C? Silver City? Can't remember. Anyhow, I detected Hillsboro again and found nothing but common coinage. Now I'm thinking of going to Gold Dust in the spring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread