Old house site yields more relics

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got up real early this AM and decided to give the old house site where I found the 1749 Half cent another go before somebody turned up the heat. When I arrived I met another digger who proudly showed me his newly found large cent. I showed him a pic of last weeks find of the half cent (Posted here under best finds Last week) I asked him if he had found any civil war relics he said no but some colonial Tomboc buttons and shoe buckles. I said there has got to be some civil war relics here, he agreed then we both went back to business. About 10 minutes later I get a good signal and out pops a 58 cal 3 ringer at five inches. A bit further and another strong signal among the iron reads and I dig this big solid cast button with an unusual square shank on the back almost half dollar size. Probably civilian, could be colonial era, but who knows? A troopers winter great coat? I start digging up iron and junk, nothing good. The last good signal produces this beautiful 69 cal round ball. My new found friend was impressed with the 3 ringer and 69 round ball, said he had yet to find a bullet, but proof of our surmise civil war troops were here.

Attachments

• big3.jpg
    big3.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 298182393_368917472086290_8564140703222333976_n.jpg
    298182393_368917472086290_8564140703222333976_n.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 13

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice old lead!! Well done sir

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got up real early this AM and decided to give the old house site where I found the 1749 Half cent another go before somebody turned up the heat. When I arrived I met another digger who proudly showed me his newly found large cent. I showed him a pic of last weeks find of the half cent (Posted here under best finds Last week) I asked him if he had found any civil war relics he said no but some colonial Tomboc buttons and shoe buckles. I said there has got to be some civil war relics here, he agreed then we both went back to business. About 10 minutes later I get a good signal and out pops a 58 cal 3 ringer at five inches. A bit further and another strong signal among the iron reads and I dig this big solid cast button with an unusual square shank on the back almost half dollar size. Probably civilian, could be colonial era, but who knows? A troopers winter great coat? I start digging up iron and junk, nothing good. The last good signal produces this beautiful 69 cal round ball. My new found friend was impressed with the 3 ringer and 69 round ball, said he had yet to find a bullet, but proof of our surmise civil war troops were here.
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good stuff! Old houses are the best.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great saves, wtg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of a British Half Cent, I think you mean Half Penny, however, I stated on your other post you need to measure its diameter because it might be a Farthing.
However, this button look very early, if its a drilled shank it might be 17th C.

OP
OP
FloodcityTom

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never heard of a British Half Cent, I think you mean Half Penny, however, I stated on your other post you need to measure its diameter because it might be a Farthing.
However, this button look very early, if its a drilled shank it might be 17th C.
Thank you for your input, you have to remember Yanks are used to using "cent" to describe a penny, I have learned that halfpence is the proper term. The coin measures 7/8 inch roughly the size of a US Quarter but just a hair smaller....so would that be a Farthing? I have also learned that the 1749 halfpence and Farthing were the only coins sent to the Americas by act of parliament.

England. 1749 farthing. George II. AU-55 (PCGS). One of the iconic coins of the colonial U.S., the only issue (along with the 1749 halfpence that came with it) that was officially shipped to the British colonies in America by the ton by official Act of Parliament. This specimen shows ideal glossy dark chocolate brown surfaces that are smooth and free of issues. The strike is bold, and light evidence of die clashing is visible on both sides. 1749 farthings are a bit tougher than their sister halfpence in high grade like this. In low grade, particularly in dug condition, both issues are rather common; there is no date of George II coppers more frequently found by American metal detectorists than the 1749s. While these were shipped to Boston aboard the Mermaid, examples turn up in American soil as far south as Virginia and the Carolinas. Though their status as an American colonial coin has been recognized as far back as Crosby, they've only been listed in the Redbook the last few years. Few are as all-around choice as this one.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your input, you have to remember Yanks are used to using "cent" to describe a penny, I have learned that halfpence is the proper term. The coin measures 7/8 inch roughly the size of a US Quarter but just a hair smaller....so would that be a Farthing? I have also learned that the 1749 halfpence and Farthing were the only coins sent to the Americas by act of parliament.

England. 1749 farthing. George II. AU-55 (PCGS). One of the iconic coins of the colonial U.S., the only issue (along with the 1749 halfpence that came with it) that was officially shipped to the British colonies in America by the ton by official Act of Parliament. This specimen shows ideal glossy dark chocolate brown surfaces that are smooth and free of issues. The strike is bold, and light evidence of die clashing is visible on both sides. 1749 farthings are a bit tougher than their sister halfpence in high grade like this. In low grade, particularly in dug condition, both issues are rather common; there is no date of George II coppers more frequently found by American metal detectorists than the 1749s. While these were shipped to Boston aboard the Mermaid, examples turn up in American soil as far south as Virginia and the Carolinas. Though their status as an American colonial coin has been recognized as far back as Crosby, they've only been listed in the Redbook the last few years. Few are as all-around choice as this one.
(It is a common error used by the US users, no offence meant, I'm just a fact guy)

If that's about 22mm then yes it's a farthing. I thought it might be when I saw it in your hand on the other post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions