Old KKK membership coins

Flintfinder

Mar 31, 2008
Troy, Mo
I was going through some old stuff and came upon these. I am not sure where I got them. Does any one know anything about them, like are these common. They are a part of our history, are they of any value? I am not trying to get anyone upset, just seeking info. thanks. John
100_1505.jpg
100_1506.jpg
100_1507.jpg
100_1508.jpg
100_1509.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Top one looks close to this one dated 1928

21. KK-226 Obverse: Features Night Rider with fiery cross, Realm of Illinois, Knights of Ku Klux Klan. Reverse: Features Lady Liberty, Illinois 1928, I was there (commemorates National Klonklave). Approx. half dollar size. Copper. $250.00

http://www.kkklan.com/coins.htm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Flintfinder

Flintfinder

Mar 31, 2008
Troy, Mo
Thanks for the link Jeff. The first kkk coin that I showed has a date of 1919, and says realm of USA instead of Ill. do you have any other links I can check out? Thanks for your help. John

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a better Discription from the link above

A fake is a counterfeit, generally a cast copy of a genuine original. Some deceptive fakes of original Slave Tags have been made with new dies. It is against Federal law to make fakes or counterfeits of original items. A number of coins, tokens and medals have been faked. Some expensive coins have been faked by creating copy-dies.

A fantasy is a piece that never existed years ago and implies it is old. Most fantasy pieces sound too good to be true, and generally are! I have also listed some suspect pieces that I highly doubt are original items, but I must see to be able to determine (they are listed as doubtful). Fantasy pieces can be struck, cast or engraved. A number of fantasy pieces have been created by crooks creating a new piece from legitimate manufacturers, with good quality die work and design. Just because it looks good does not mean it is, and just because it looks shoddy it does not mean it isn't genuine!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Flintfinder

Flintfinder

Mar 31, 2008
Troy, Mo
Thanks a lot Jeff. I still cant find the mebership coins I have on the web. They may be fake for all I know, Like i said cant remember where I got em. If any one else knows anthing about them, please let me know. thanks JOHN

Upvote 0

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Flintfinder said:
Jeff I'm not real familar with fantasy , Can you guys explain that to me? Thanks John

A fantasy can not be a fake because there is no original. A fake is a deceptive copy of an original but made later to defraud collectors. A fake coin is called a counterfeit. siegfried schlagrule

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Flintfinder

Flintfinder

Mar 31, 2008
Troy, Mo
Thanks JustGeese, I looked and looked and couldn't come up with anything. I am an arrowhead hunter, and collect er. I know nothing about coins ,tokens etc. To me this is just history, and that's it. I didn't collect them, but they were probably in a box of stuff bought at auction. So No hard feelings. I just kinda wanted to know what they were worth before I got rid of them. John

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
Hi the Top Token is valued at $250.00

21. KK-226 Obverse: Features Night Rider with fiery cross, Realm of Illinois, Knights of Ku Klux Klan. Reverse: Features Lady Liberty, Illinois 1928, I was there (commemorates National Klonklave). Approx. half dollar size. Copper.

Contact this person: [email protected]

LINK: (Middle of the Pg.)

http://www.kkklan.com/coins.htm

Link #2 for other items
http://www.cdgale.com/kidd/

There are many REALM's of the KKK, the Realm is the State Level which is broken down from the Empire level of the U.S.A.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Flintfinder

Flintfinder

Mar 31, 2008
Troy, Mo
The first one says Member in good standing 1919 ( realm of USA) The secound one appears to be stamped over another coin(penny Dated 1937) The secound one on the face has stamped #4 KKK W.VA and has crosses stamped around the KKK. Thanks for the link to the auction, I did see the third one in that link, but its just an auction link and really didnt give me any info. Thanks for your input, and I really thank you guys for the help. John

Upvote 0

RoyRogers

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to find out some information about this aluminum KKK coin/token. Time period it was probably made and etc. I've had the coin since 1965.

KKK Coin 1965.jpg

Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I can tell you a little bit about it...

It is a symbol of racism, hatred, and it embodies the worst qualities of mankind. I recommend you put it in muriatic acid for five minutes. It will completely destroy the coin leaving nothing left. This will be one small step in making this country a better place.

Upvote 0

RoyRogers

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you a little bit about it...

It is a symbol of racism, hatred, and it embodies the worst qualities of mankind. ..... This will be one small step in making this country a better place.

While your representation of the makers of the coin may be accurate, destroying the coin will not make the county any better. I taught high school for 32 years (Social Studies) and showed this coin to my students. Most of my students were amazed that this was ever a part of our history. They were aware of the Civil War and the subsequent abolishing of slavery, but thought that was the end of the issue. So I'm not in agreement with the suggestion to destroy the coin.

I'm thinking that this coin came out of the 2nd Klan era (1915-1944). "The second Klan became a national organization and avoided sectionalism. It embraced "Americanism" and was no longer isolated to the South. The second Klan was stronger in the Midwest than in the Deep South. It wasn’t until the 1950s when the Klan embraced the Confederate Flag."

I'm still looking for more info on this coin.

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I can also tell you that I married a woman from Forest County, just across the Jones County line in Kelly Settlement. I met her when I lived at Box 387 Old River Road Jones County, it was a 355 acre ranch, with one side bordered by the Leaf River. After I moved the ranch house burned down.

I personally know the Family of Vernon Dahmer who the KKK killed.
http://www.splcenter.org/VernonDahmer

I also know people that lived through that time and even folks that knew slaves. I know more that I care to tell. I wii say that I got caught up in a murder that 3 men did 30 years for, and they never committed the crime. I was only cleared because nobody knew me and I passed a lie detector test. I've shared this before.
WDAM

Interesting information about Jones County at thus link when Newt Knight wanted to form the Free State of Jones:

Newton Knight and the Legend of the Free State of Jones | Mississippi History Now

As far as the KKK goes they are still active in Jones County, I still have contacts on Old River Road and my in-laws still live in Kelly Settlement. So that and those other coins belong in a museum like the flag, sorry.

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Hey it's okay though, I went to Corona Jr. High. When Slave Day came I was like confused and when I asked about it my friends tried to cheer me up by saying it's just for fun, a fun way to raise money for the 9 th grade Disneyland trip. It made me feel very low but I made it.

Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure it is just a coincidence that you have dragged up this old thread today and 200 members of the KKK are holding a rally outside of the SC courthouse from 3-5pm today. BTW: welcome to TNET, I see you just joined in July and are new to posting. Curious choice for first item to ask about. Also, very professionally done photo. Good work on displaying it in such an excellent manner for somebody new to posting. Do you have two coins or just one? The picture shows two coins side by side. You have referred multiple times to it as one coin...odd mistake to make. I would have thought you would have referred to both your coins.

Where ever there is evil in this world there will be good men to stand in defiance of it.

Upvote 0

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NOW THERES A FEW CONVERSATION PEICES.....................

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All unpleasantness aside, I think you're right in your thoughts as to the age of the coin. Finding any real details about it might be difficult though as it's likely not mass produced, and if there are other examples still in existence, they are probably hidden away, or long forgotten in attics and basements... It's not the kind of thing most people will want to admit they have found in their grandfathers things, or that they are likely to have kept if they had found it.

There are people who collect that sort of thing, for reasons both good and bad, and it will have some value to them. To me it's an interesting artifact of a time in our country that many would rather forget. Destroying these things does nothing to erase that time, or change that past. It only serves to remove reminders that people could have learned from.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread