Old knife help

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mail.jpg hey guys,I found this old knife in a stone wall under several stones,the area that I found it in has several celler holes producing late 18th to early 19th century artifacts.any idea on a possible age of the knife or any info on it. it is approximately 9.75 inches in length.it has since been cleaned and oiled and there are no marks on it whatsoever.

Last edited:
S

stefen

No way to age date rust...the shape says it's possibly a carving knife that see a tremendous amount of sharpening...

try removing the rust and look for a mtg stamp or some other clue...

Upvote 0

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It almost certainly a kitchen knife. Beyond that, I would agree with Stefen, try looking for a stamp. Most likely on the side of the blade closer to where the handle would have been.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No way to age date rust...the shape says it's possibly a carving knife that see a tremendous amount of sharpening...

try removing the rust and look for a mtg stamp or some other clue...
well it has since been cleaned and oiled,and there are no marking whatsoever,based on the area that it was found and the other relics found in the area,i believe it's safe to assume it's from the late 18th to early 19th century,as the site is totally devoid of any modern trash at all.numerous pewter and silver spoons,spoon bowls and handles were found sitting right on the surface,all dating to the same time period.

Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could help with the knife but I got nothing, you live in an area with some serious history, your bound to find something real good, rev war stuff.
My wife and I spent a week at lake Hortonia, I found Colonial coppers on the hill just to the north of the lake. you should try around Hubbardton management area especially the hill to the east of the battle field. I dont think that hill is in the protected area? Good luck HH
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one thing it has going for it are small pin holes. The older knives tend to have few and small handle pins.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one thing it has going for it are small pin holes. The older knives tend to have few and small handle pins.
the old cellar stone wall under which it was buried is nearly indistinguisable any longer as to what it is,in fact i've been hunting the are for a year now and never saw it.When I first discovered my honey hole spot,I went to the town clerks office to do some research and have nothing in the land records for the area.I believ that i am also the only one to have ever detected here as I have found numerous pewter untensils on or just under the surface as well as hammered strap hinges either on or just under the surface.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I could help with the knife but I got nothing, you live in an area with some serious history, your bound to find something real good, rev war stuff.
My wife and I spent a week at lake Hortonia, I found Colonial coppers on the hill just to the north of the lake. you should try around Hubbardton management area especially the hill to the east of the battle field. I dont think that hill is in the protected area? Good luck HH
Broken Knee
thanx bro,I will be contacting the town clerk as to whether its allowed to hunt there,I'm not sure if I can detect wildlife management areas.

Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cant detect either site but all around the shaded areas on the map should be good with land owners permission?
If I were going back I'd try just south between monument hill rd. and North Breton Brook, Good Luck
BK

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That was what Lizzie Borden used in Fall River last week. I found a 57 chevy with motor still running.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread