Old Mexican Silver Grail Story Of South Texas

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre and Garrett ACE 250/Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking to this old man born and raised here in Roma, Texas owner of some old houses here by the Rio Grande River asking permission to hunt in his property. Permission granted.... :) Anyway he told of of a story his grandfather told him as a kid when he and his friends used to play along the riverbank. He told me "Go for the tesoro (treasurer)" . According to the story back in the early 1800's the Mexican Military were after this bandidos (bandits) that killed a wealthy family on the Mexican side of the border and stole a lot of Silver and Gold but mostly Silver and were carrying 4 mulas (mules) with all that they stole. They crossed to the US by Guerrero, Tamaulipas Mexico border with what is know Falcon Dam on the US side and the Mexican military on their tail. They headed southbound by the river fleeing until they were caught by on the US side in front of Camargo, Tamaulipas Mexico which today is Rio Grande City, Tx. When they were caught the military killed them all and then found out that all bags on the mules were filled with rocks. One of the bandits half dead confessed that the treasure was hidden in "El Sotano" (basement). Ok, I live in Roma,Tx right in the middle between Rio Grande City and Falcon Damn an approximately river stretch of 25 miles. The buried treasure was supposedly never found. Hmmmm.....interesting. Oh, and I was also given permission to hunt on the old man's property :)

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is stories like that that fuel the imagination and spur on the obsessions of treasure hunters. sometimes they are true, sometimes not... sometimes found, sometimes not but until you look or they are found, who knows! good luck

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , you've racked up a couple of very interesting hunts , If you score big - I don't imagine you'll want to be talking to us about it ,
or anybody else either ! Good Luck .

OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a small town I was born and raised here and I've never seen any locals metal detecting here in town, except once when I was around 16 yrs old I saw a group of Winter Texans doing some hunting by the river. Our town is visited from people up north (Winter Texans) basically because the movie Viva Zapata with Marlon Brandon and Anthony Quinn was filmed part of it here in Old Roma which is by the river bank of Rio Grande River back in 1952. I'm 45 yrs old and I'm pretty sure the only one here starting metal detecting here in town if not one of the few.

ForumRunner_20150121_154634.png

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
We lost a friend two years ago who helped build Falcon dam. He told me they finished it just
before Rio Grande flooded and a town was suddenly underwater. I think it's the place used
by cartels to hide stashes. Also the place the two ski jet runners got ambushed and the
husband was killed. You probably know where it is and know not to get anywhere near.

OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I know about what happened to the couple, That's Guerrero Viejo when they built the damn everybody moved to what is named Nueva Ciudad Guerrero that connects to Falcon Heights in the Falcon Dam port of entry.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
mister-chivo, not only are treasure stories a dime-a-dozen, the mexican originated ones are a penny a dozen. Sorry to say. But there's not a single first generation mexican emigrant, who doesn't have a list of sure-fired treasure stories to spin. In their mind's eyes, every last cave, every ruin, etc... in Mexico is "certain to have a treasure in it". And they'll have all the stories to spin around it, that make it "iron-clad true", of course.

OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to my dad about the story, he said that there's an area called El Sotano. (Basement ) by the Rio Grande River somewhere by Ciudad Mier, Tamaulipas Mexico on the Mexican side of the river. All those ranches were taken by the cartels. Too risky, I guess I'll stick to the Parks... :)

cobrasvo90

Feb 2, 2006
Rio Grande Valley (Pharr), TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr.Chivo, there are a few guys from Rio Grand city that detect. They pulled out a nice military sword from a vacant lot in town. We have a club here in the RGV and get together monthly for hunts and yearly for our seeded hunt. Roma and the surrounding areas are rich in history. Im from Pharr, TX. Usually stick to the surrounding cities though. If you are looking for hunting buddies a friend of mine and I would be interested in heading your way.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big difference between hunting long ago hidden treasure and possible fresh cartel loot being in the same area, it gets a little dicey.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions