The old Milneburg Lighthouse, also, known as the Port Pontchartrain Lighthouse, was constructed in the lake just off the south shore in 1838 in the resort town of Milneburg. This is the spot where Pontchartrain Beach was eventually built (the area having, long ago, been annexed by the city of New Orleans). Milneburg was popular among the city's residents in the 1800's and early 1900's; it contained many houses, or camps, built on piers over the water. In the 1930's, the levee board did a reclamation project and the Milneburg camps were destroyed, as what had been water, became land. However, the lighthouse survived and turned into a popular landmark when the amusement park was built around it. By the way, this lighthouse was the only one on the Gulf Coast to remain staffed during the Civil War. To read more of this lighthouse's interesting history...