Old newbie seeks local help

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hi folks - I am new to this site. I threw away my old rusty metal detector that I owned for 30 years and bought a new White's DFX. I hadn't used my old detector for years, but re-caught the bug recently. I have family in the Phoenix area that I will be visiting from Jan 5-15 2007 and would love to try out my new DFX in your area. Would appreciate any local help on places to go. I've been reading various posts so I know I cannot hunt in national/state parks, etc. Are there ghost towns where I can try my luck? Hope I'm not intruding in your turf... ;)

Thanks,
Joe

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
JOE:
We used to have a lot of Ghost Towns where you could go and MD all day long!
But!
That was before The US Govt! went around tearing them all down! :-\
Even going as far as to "bull doze" the sites!
AND!
To prevent anyone who might still go in and MD!
They went as as far as,...... :o
To, actually spread metal chips over the ground!
WHY?
In Any SANE! World, would they do it, and they even more!
They are still doing it ????
SO!
I am afraid that the few Ghost Towns that I know, will have to remain SECRET!
Too Bad!
That they can't be put on The Endangered List! ::)

Bunk

Nov 28, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
ML 4000-ML X70
I would say the GT of Gulette or the buildings around Tip Top. Both are easy to get to. I think about 30 miles NW of Phx.
Bunk

OP
OP
wolfmanjoe3

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Thanks - I'll keep my expectations low... I will have several free days while my family is working, so I don't mind driving a couple of hours to find some interesting sites.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Just check on the Federal Antiquies Law! ;)
You can get a copy from any BLM/US Forest, etc! Office.
But!
Do it yourself!
2nd Hand Info can get you into BIG! trouble!
Used to be, taking, anything 50+ yrs was Illegal !
You could lose your car, MD, and get a nice "FINE"!

There IS NO! Law against Elecronic (ly) Prospecting!
My MD is a GOLD STINGER designed for Gold Nuggets!
Even says SO! ;D
Right on the side!
Darn!
Where ever, did that "Cache Loop" come from? ::)

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Going North out of Phoenix to flagstaff take the bumble bee exit . At the first chance to turn left to the river take it. It is now some type of park area but last I was there you could still pan. I used to do very well there. I used to do well over on Rich hill at congress.I know alot of it is claimed but there is still areas. Join that small mine owners and prospectors association there at congress. You'll have all the leads you need for a long time. Also join the small mone owners and prospectors association down at the rock museum by the fairgrounds. I was down looking west of phoenix toward the california line. I think that is exciting potential. The area around the wickenburg Vulture mine has been worked pretty good, but if you go west of there you can see a lot of abandoned mines. Some of them were pretty good size. I don't know what they were mining but it would be worth looking for. Don't look for the sycamore canyon mine. I'm just down there looking at the scenery. ;D ;D ;D. I was cutting trees one day East of winona road west of flagstaff and found and cut down a tree with a horshoe nailed to it a good twenty feet up. I didn't know about the train robbery at diablo canyon back then. A guy brought me in a piece of purple rock one day asking me what it was. it was from that area. I didn't know exactly what it was. Later I read an article in one of my treasure magazines from the sixties talking about a flowing river of siver coming out of a bluff up there. The thing that caught my attention was the mention of it being associated with a purple rock. Take diablo canyon exit. If you get to the Old Babbitt trading post where the train robbery occured you are on reservation. Back up just before the fence. The old trading post is worth looking at, especially where they did the snake dances. Just don't detect or pick any thing up. Arizona is wide open. Hoped I helped.

Wild Boulder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread