Old....old necklace charm??

hudsonlarking

Jul 12, 2020
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a ton of things needing ID but I think this sits atop that list. With Isaias gone, mudlarking is what we do (or metal detect of course). One of the many interesting things from today and yesterday is this beauty.
D0B7BC49-CA27-4BF3-A68F-6FE7E08675B6.jpeg

Never know how I spot anything but always happy and amazed with the power of the eyes. Did a little research and it is Saint Catherine of Alexandria, Patron saint of students etc. it looks to be a charm and of some sort of metal? Less than an inch long
CBAC62B5-2D96-4B49-817C-B58C31C8DECE.jpeg

So I’m thinking it’s either super old, Like old or just overreacting. But hey, super cool find and the detail is unreal! Props to iPhones as well

Thanks for the help and hope all you East coasters are taking advantage of the storm and are of course safe!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks to me like it's made of spelter or pot metal.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the religious significance of your find. :icon_scratch:
Dave

"Spelter is a zinc–lead alloy that ages to resemble bronze but is softer and has a lower melting point. The name can also refer to a copper–zinc alloy (a brass) used for brazing, or to pure zinc. In his etymology of the English language, 19th-century philologist Walter William Skeat speculated that the word pewter might have been derived from spelter. An inexpensive alloy that is easily cast and worked, spelter was used from the 1860s in the manufacture of candlesticks, clock cases, tableware, and light fixtures. In the early 20th century, sculptors such as Jacques Limousin used spelter heavily in their manufacture of Art Nouveau and Art Deco figurines and other ornaments. Spelter is relatively soft and brittle. It can be distinguished from bronze by scratching its patina: untarnished spelter is white, while bronze is yellow."

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find I love stuff like that

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

hudsonlarking

Jul 12, 2020
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like it's made of spelter or pot metal.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the religious significance of your find. :icon_scratch:
Dave

"Spelter is a zinc–lead alloy that ages to resemble bronze but is softer and has a lower melting point. The name can also refer to a copper–zinc alloy (a brass) used for brazing, or to pure zinc. In his etymology of the English language, 19th-century philologist Walter William Skeat speculated that the word pewter might have been derived from spelter. An inexpensive alloy that is easily cast and worked, spelter was used from the 1860s in the manufacture of candlesticks, clock cases, tableware, and light fixtures. In the early 20th century, sculptors such as Jacques Limousin used spelter heavily in their manufacture of Art Nouveau and Art Deco figurines and other ornaments. Spelter is relatively soft and brittle. It can be distinguished from bronze by scratching its patina: untarnished spelter is white, while bronze is yellow."

Oh cool thanks. Never heard of that kind of metal. It’s very light which might not be silver. I’m thinking of taking it to an antique shop, unless they just laugh because it’s nothing that old

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh cool thanks. Never heard of that kind of metal. It’s very light which might not be silver. I’m thinking of taking it to an antique shop, unless they just laugh because it’s nothing that old

I'd be more inclined to send pics to a local museum if you're looking for an accurate assessment of your find. Most antique dealers are passionate about history and have a broad knowledge in numerous fields of collecting, but they're often not trained experts like the people who work in the museums. It certainly wouldn't hurt to take it to an antique dealer that you trust for their opinion though. :thumbsup:

There's no such thing as a bad opinion when it comes to antiques or detecting finds, just wrong information. :laughing7:

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

hudsonlarking

Jul 12, 2020
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be more inclined to send pics to a local museum if you're looking for an accurate assessment of your find. Most antique dealers are passionate about history and have a broad knowledge in numerous fields of collecting, but they're often not trained experts like the people who work in the museums. It certainly wouldn't hurt to take it to an antique dealer that you trust for their opinion though. :thumbsup:

There's no such thing as a bad opinion when it comes to antiques or detecting finds, just wrong information. :laughing7:

Dave

Considering I live in Manhattan, trying to get in contact with the natural history museum could
Be tough lol. But not impossible lol. I’ve never been to an antique shop and there’s one a block from me so I think I have to at least check that place out today

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread