jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E72F8AE2-D04D-4B1C-AAFC-0497281FB3D9.jpeg

BDA6230E-1249-4143-8AFD-0D112BFBAE17.jpeg

A99332CF-7315-460B-8505-1865E4F6A300.jpeg

451926FF-6D4B-46D7-9E13-121DCDA19215.jpeg

So, interesting story. A while ago, we helped my grandparents move down to my place, because of developing health issues. My grandfather owns about 6 or 7 guns. One of the guns got lost in the move. We didn’t know where it went. However, we found it today. To my surprise, it appears to be a Luger P08.

The date on the case says 1938.

I am pretty sure it’s not a replica, as it has all the functions of a working gun. It’s pretty interesting that I may have a piece of history here.

Please let me know what you think of it.

Jared

Upvote 20

Stifeout

Greenie
Aug 4, 2022
Hi
Way cool Luger!
I am not a huge Luger authority, but believe it to be a legit wartime gun.
The proof marks above the engraving are still faint but there. An eagle with a number, usually a swastika should be there. The fact that the trigger and safety are blued makes it one referred to as a black widow.... An American Term. Just behind the barrel on the top there should be and letters and numbers indicating year and manufacturer.

The holster looks too new to be authentic...
All and all a nice find!!

Stifeout

Greenie
Aug 4, 2022
Hi
Way cool Luger!
I am not a huge Luger authority, but believe it to be a legit wartime gun.
The proof marks above the engraving are still faint but there. An eagle with a number, usually a swastika should be there. The fact that the trigger and safety are blued makes it one referred to as a black widow.... An American Term. Just behind the barrel on the top there should be and letters and numbers indicating year and manufacturer.

The holster looks too new to be authentic...
All and all a nice find!!
Sorry just noticed the cool script is for DWM.... Deutsche Waffen and Munitionsfabriken
That's the manufacturer

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry just noticed the cool script is for DWM.... Deutsche Waffen and Munitionsfabriken
That's the manufacturer
Not a black widow or other German military issue, but a commercial model made for export to the U.S. That's why it is marked with country of origin - to satisfy U.S. import regulations. It could be 9MM but is very possibly 7.65 (AKA .30 Luger caliber.) It was manufactured before WWII. The holster is a modern reproduction.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a black widow or other German military issue, but a commercial model made for export to the U.S. That's why it is marked with country of origin - to satisfy U.S. import regulations. It could be 9MM but is very possibly 7.65 (AKA .30 Luger caliber.) It was manufactured before WWII. The holster is a modern reproduction.
BEFORE WWII? Am I reading that right?

Thank you for getting back, all of you. I actually have to agree with this post I quoted. It was puzzling me why they would stamp “Germany“ on the gun. That let me to believe it was an import of some kind.

I am also in agreement that the holster is a reproduction.

Still, the gun is a cool piece of history in my opinion.

I wonder if it still works.

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEFORE WWII? Am I reading that right?

Thank you for getting back, all of you. I actually have to agree with this post I quoted. It was puzzling me why they would stamp “Germany“ on the gun. That let me to believe it was an import of some kind.

I am also in agreement that the holster is a reproduction.

Still, the gun is a cool piece of history in my opinion.

I wonder if it still works.
Not only made before WWII, but actually made before 1930, which is when DWM ceased manufacture of the 1908 Luger and production was taken over by Mauser. If you want to try it out to see if it works, make absolutely sure which cartridge it is chambered for. German military Lugers use the common 9MM Luger cartridge. Most DWM commercial Lugers use the hard to find 7.65 Luger, also known as .30 caliber Luger.

Ekim14

Oct 21, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites XLT
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sargent Alvin Dietsch brought this one home from the war. Complete with the capture papers and holster. He even scratched his service number into the clips and gun.

Attachments

• SS (4).jpeg
    SS (4).jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 46
  • SS (5).jpeg
    SS (5).jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 47
  • SS (7).jpeg
    SS (7).jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 49

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks nice! It appears to have been worked over/reblued so it wouldn't hurt to shoot it. Probably a 30 Luger but you will have to check the bore to be sure. It is a pretty hot little round. Glad you found it.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gun ! The holster But i am not a expert on them !!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thinking back I went to a garage sale abolut 20 years back and ask if they had any guns. he replied yes what do i want, He said he has a lot for sale. I said i buy all kinds of guns. and show me what you want to sell. He showed me about 20 or so guns and asked which one i wanted. I told him how much for all of them . He said he only would sell Funny how some actions you canremember like it was 10 minutes ago.I told him cash is fine I usually only deal in cash. He told me he would take $4,000 I told him I had $2,000 in cash on me and i would give it to him for all of them. He said nope and i told him thanks for showing me. i started to leave and his wife told him they could REALLY use the money . He stopped me and asked if the offer was still good. I said yes and paid him.There was a german luger in with them i sold the luger to A dealer for $1,100 alone and i do remember it did not have the swastika mark on it.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the replies. I just measured the barrel in millimeters, and it is 7.65. I’m gonna have a hard time tracking down the bullets.

If I can track down the bullets, I’ll make a video for you all.

I appreciate all the input and the stories you have shared.

Jared

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm leaning towards copy as well. It just doesn't look right. Machine finish of the surfaces isn't what to expect from DWM or Mauser. Serial numbers are missing. I add some pics of a Luger i had to show the differences.

Attachments

• 081220145114.jpg
    081220145114.jpg
    831.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 081220145115.jpg
    081220145115.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • 081220145117.jpg
    081220145117.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm leaning towards copy as well. It just doesn't look right. Machine finish of the surfaces isn't what to expect from DWM or Mauser. Serial numbers are missing. I add some pics of a Luger i had to show the differences.

To be honest, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a copy. Before my grandfather developed Alzheimer’s, he would always exaggerate his stories as well as facts about stuff he’s collected.

That’s one thing I don’t like about him, you don’t know what is truth.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you for the pictures. I pulled the gun out and looked at it again to compare it. I found this underneath the barrel. Is this the serial number you were talking about?

7303D2D0-4BDD-4DB3-A6F8-3C0DC707A3D6.jpeg

ETA I also found some other markings.

25AF1956-5621-4ED2-B013-EDBC68DA9D56.jpeg
FA8CE716-E12E-4730-AB18-40564DC312DE.jpeg

Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the pictures. I pulled the gun out and looked at it again to compare it. I found this underneath the barrel. Is this the serial number you were talking about?

View attachment 2045583

ETA I also found some other markings.

View attachment 2045594 View attachment 2045595
These pics look way better! Thats genuine. The crown on N on the barrel means the gun has checked for safety. It's the stamp from 1912-1939. N means it was shot with smokeless powder.
Serial numbers look spot on, but still missing on trigger plate and catch. The smaller parts had only the last two digits stamped so it was common to part together numbers matching guns for better sale price. The word "GESICHERT" is also right. Meaning "Safe".
With these pictures i say its genuine at least in the main parts. Congrats!
Still no idea why someone stamped Germany in a great piece of firearm history. It's a shame.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These pics look way better! Thats genuine. The crown on N on the barrel means the gun has checked for safety. It's the stamp from 1912-1939. N means it was shot with smokeless powder.
Serial numbers look spot on, but still missing on trigger plate and catch. The smaller parts had only the last two digits stamped so it was common to part together numbers matching guns for better sale price. The word "GESICHERT" is also right. Meaning "Safe".
With these pictures i say its genuine at least in the main parts. Congrats!
Still no idea why someone stamped Germany in a great piece of firearm history. It's a shame.

1912 to 1939? That’s amazing.

Thanks so much for getting back and helping me with this. I appreciate it.

If it’s that old, I wonder if I should not shoot it with it being an antique and all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread