Old Quilt

D

DeSotoTreasur42

A couple of months ago my great aunt was cleaning out her closets and she came across some old quilts. Most where so worn out that they were worthless, but she gave them to my Mom. According to my great aunt they were over hundred years old (there old, don't know if that is exactly right), and she said she didn't feel right just throwing them away. So when my Mom brings them home we all take a minute to look at them and of the group there was only one in good condition. We unfolded it and when I saw the whole thing I saw that the pattern was that of two lines of swastikas (ex.duel racing stripes). This automatically brought up weird thoughts, because I'm not sure who made it and I don't know of any Nazi ties in my family or Indian. The only thing semi-close to this is I had some great (great great, I'm not sure)uncle who brought back a few things from the war. The only thing I have left of that is a spoon with a swastika on it, the rest was taken by someone else. I live in the southeast and so if anyone has any ideas to what this might be or where it came from or anything at all, let me know. All input would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S.
There is no weird obsessions with Nazi's or anything. This is just what I've found digging around.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I don't think it has anything to do with Nazi. Marriage quilts were always given at weddings and the swastika would mean Peace and good fortune to the young married couple. Old quilts are highly collectible ,even if not in the best of condition, so I hope you didn't toss the quilts.Cool Find!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Swastika quilt, ca. 1880-1990

This piece quilt is made of 5 rows swastikas, a motif (prior to its association with the Third Reich) symbolizing good luck. All the squares are cotton, made of shirting fabric. Quilt is not quilted but tied with yarn. Top of quilt features a moustache cover, to protect the fabric from the coarseness of the facial hair.

This one is at the Museum of Nevada

Attachments

• quilt2.jpg
    quilt2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 346

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread