Greenie
Feb 20, 2019
Wilmington, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for assistance. I just found this metal double sided sign today. Do I take off the dirt or leave it on? If you say take it off, what would be the best/ recommended method without further damage?
I was detecting a friends lot. His grandfather had a Drive In that was built in 1950 right next door so I figure it’s from there.
I'm excited with my best find yet and I don’t want to screw it up.
Thanks in advance.
Sandy

Attachments

• 41BB6F05-7705-4AEF-B5AD-7775BB1A5938.jpeg
    41BB6F05-7705-4AEF-B5AD-7775BB1A5938.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 271
Upvote 5

iowamp

Jul 2, 2012
eastern iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking for assistance. I just found this metal double sided sign today. Do I take off the dirt or leave it on? If you say take it off, what would be the best/ recommended method without further damage?
I was detecting a friends lot. His grandfather had a Drive In that was built in 1950 right next door so I figure it’s from there.
Thanks in advance.
Sandy

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks in advance.
Sandy
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be porcelain over steel. Soap and water will not hurt that sign. A soft brush or a wash cloth would be ok too. Would like to see it after it is washed!

Bob

OP
OP
S

sandybeach069

Greenie
Feb 20, 2019
Wilmington, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be porcelain over steel. Soap and water will not hurt that sign. A soft brush or a wash cloth would be ok too. Would like to see it after it is washed!

Bob
Thanks
im working on the soap and water with a soft brush. It has a lot of dirt and rust to get off.

OP
OP
S

sandybeach069

Greenie
Feb 20, 2019
Wilmington, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bob
Thanks for your help. I’m working with the soap, water and soft brush. The middle strip is not coming off easy. So I’m taking my time so that I don’t mess it up.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the clean up. Dont forget to show us how it turns out. Funny how the term "Clean Rest Rooms" used to mean somthing. Not so much now a days.

OP
OP
S

sandybeach069

Greenie
Feb 20, 2019
Wilmington, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still cleaning
Looking better but my next question is:
The 2nd picture show still heavy (thick) rust down the middle.
I have cleaned it daily with blue Dawn, water and soft brush. How can I tackle the thick rust down the middle?
Can I leave it in soap and water bath over night to soften it up. Or is that a huge no no.
Thanks again for your help. I truly appreciate your knowledge/ experience

Attachments

• EE78A137-E506-4F29-BAAB-38DC71B7BB3A.jpeg
    EE78A137-E506-4F29-BAAB-38DC71B7BB3A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • 31A92DF8-0651-402A-BD58-49A882DCDDFF.jpeg
    31A92DF8-0651-402A-BD58-49A882DCDDFF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that the thick rust down the middle is where the porcelain is missing entirely. That will not come off. That is just rusted metal that was once protected by the porcelain. But to brighten up the rest of the sign a little, try using Whink rust remover. It will remove rust from toilet bowls and clothing without damage. It comes in a liquid and granules. Go slow, do not be afraid to rinse it off. Good luck!
Bob

OP
OP
S

sandybeach069

Greenie
Feb 20, 2019
Wilmington, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that the thick rust down the middle is where the porcelain is missing entirely. That will not come off. That is just rusted metal that was once protected by the porcelain. But to brighten up the rest of the sign a little, try using Whink rust remover. It will remove rust from toilet bowls and clothing without damage. It comes in a liquid and granules. Go slow, do not be afraid to rinse it off. Good luck!
Bob
Thank you Bob,
I’ll go out and get some. Thanks for that tip. I truly appreciate the help.
Sandy

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is what it is Sandy. :thumbsup:
You can still read what the sign say's, it still has 75% of it's original paint and is displayable. If it were mine, I'd consider putting a light coat of Turtle Wax on it to even out the colours in the lettering.

Some good advice in this forum as well... https://www.treasurenet.com/forums/restoration-projects.882/

OP
OP
S

sandybeach069

Greenie
Feb 20, 2019
Wilmington, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob
Bob,
Would any rust remover work or Whink because it’s not as harsh?

OP
OP
S

sandybeach069

Greenie
Feb 20, 2019
Wilmington, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
Would any rust remover work or Whink because it’s not as harsh?
I have used Think many times. It is very predictable and easily stopped with flushing of water. I like the liquid better than the granules. But for your sign, I would mix up some granules. Other brands may work just fine, but I have not used them. Bob

Try and write w h i n k as one word without spellcheck messing it up!

OP
OP
S

sandybeach069

Greenie
Feb 20, 2019
Wilmington, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bob

Attachments

• E0C63E62-BE5F-4BBE-8F00-7DF8791495B8.jpeg
    E0C63E62-BE5F-4BBE-8F00-7DF8791495B8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 082A3D70-8331-49F2-914B-C5D6FB82C030.jpeg
    082A3D70-8331-49F2-914B-C5D6FB82C030.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread