Old Silver AND Old Gold?

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dime and Cufflink 060823.jpg

Found a Barber dime today. And 3 feet from that I pull up this monogrammed cuff-link. It is an older design. It is not marked, and I don't have a tester, so I can't officially proclaim it to be gold. However, the VDI reading, it's weight relative to size, and it's overall cleanness given it's age, give me confidence that it's the real deal.

Finds 060823.jpg

Today's finds...

1901 Barber Dime
Gold (?) Monogrammed Cuff-link, appears to be Victorian or Edwardian
(1) Buffalo Nickel, date illegible
(3) Wheat back pennies, 1920, 1939, 1945
Silver plated utensil, not sure it's use. Maybe someone out there knows what it was used for.

PBS

Upvote 36

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2088004

Found a Barber dime today. And 3 feet from that I pull up this monogrammed cuff-link. It is an older design. It is not marked, and I don't have a tester, so I can't officially proclaim it to be gold. However, the VDI reading, it's weight relative to size, and it's overall cleanness given it's age, give me confidence that it's the real deal.

View attachment 2088005

Today's finds...

1901 Barber Dime
Gold (?) Monogrammed Cuff-link, appears to be Victorian or Edwardian
(1) Buffalo Nickel, date illegible
(3) Wheat back pennies, 1920, 1939, 1945
Silver plated utensil, not sure it's use. Maybe someone out there knows what it was used for.

PBS
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!! Keep Us updated on if it tests to be Gold!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure looks gold! Congrats!

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. That style cuff link, when unmarked, are usually gold-filled. If you test with acid (standard gold test kit), gold-filled usually tests as solid gold because the outer gold layer is relatively thick so you're really only testing this outer layer (for gold-plated, the test works well because you very easily rub through the thin plating). When a scrapper tests these old unmarked cufflinks they always cut a small notch, usually using a file, to be sure to get deep enough so they're testing the inside of the item. You can usually see the color difference between the outer gold layer and the inner copper core, and if you drop the acid in the cut, if it's gold-filled the acid bubbles and turns green. If it's solid gold the acid does absolutely nothing.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice mix of finds. Congrats!

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!! Keep Us updated on if it tests to be Gold!
Did find someone with a tester. Cuff-link tests as 10K.

PBS

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did find someone with a tester. Cuff-link tests as 10K.

PBS
Do you know what test they preformed? Acid or electronic? And if electronic, how did they prepare the surface? Although I believe most know that acid tests only test the metal at the depth of the scraped area (which is why for vintage and antique pieces, scrappers always cut into the piece since gold-filled can have a rather thick gold layer), I don't think many understand the same applies to electronic tests. Even XRF testers only read the surface, not any underlying layers if there are any.

Here's a link to the National Pawnbrokers Association page discussing the different testing methods:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread