ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An example of modern sorta repro that is similar... not saying yours is a repro... just pointing out they exist in similar fashion to some degree.

The problem with an item like this is... IF it is in fact from the Fleet... it would more than likely be the ONLY example...

Not only to the fleet... but quite possibly EVER.

Here is modern example...

image_2a996199-6f63-4d5e-b618-93e9d55513bd_x700.jpg

OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there are no stamps or markings on the piece but I tested it and it's definitely silver. Wouldn't any modern piece have 925 or something stamped on it? The back looks really interesting, its almost the same worn out look I've found on silver spanish coins.

OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say this... place it in a safe place... do not clean it in any way... and when you get a chance take it to the McLarty Museum first chance ya get.
Most definitely, I called and they seem pretty interested to see it. No markings on it but that style of cross...was it spanish? There's so much about this item that I just don't know. But definitely don't clean it?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with ARC....you should have an expert check it....it is possible that this was part of a larger piece that had a 925 mark....you need an expert with the piece in hand to make a call, and they may not even be able to say for sure....please let us know how it goes....Mclarty museum is a good choice....there are other experts available also....I realty can't make a call on age of that piece....I would ask which site on the treasure coast, but I still couldn't say its definitely from a 1715 wreck and you probably want to keep that to your self !! Good luck.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost every one i can find online have the ring that the chain would go through at a different angle....none seem to be flat....lots of modern ones are flat, and have a second loop that the chain goes through....my own religous medallions that I've recovered from the 1733 fleet are also this way. That being said im still at about 50/50 on this one. It looks to be soldered and im not sure how that was achieved back then.....I thought they were cast as a solid piece with loop ?? Did they solder back then....I can't recall ?? I definitely see solder work on that piece...im sorry....im undecided...just not sure !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190922_122423.jpg

Here we can see the typical orientation of the loop on the older Spanish medallions....this one is from a 1733 survivor beach camp.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now I see the loop in both orientations, so who knows....I do know this...ill vote banner if this is confirmed to be period to the wrecks !! Man....I want to find another crucifix now....im fired up !!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost every one i can find online have the ring that the chain would go through at a different angle....none seem to be flat....lots of modern ones are flat, and have a second loop that the chain goes through....my own religous medallions that I've recovered from the 1733 fleet are also this way. That being said im still at about 50/50 on this one. It looks to be soldered and im not sure how that was achieved back then.....I thought they were cast as a solid piece with loop ?? Did they solder back then....I can't recall ?? I definitely see solder work on that piece...im sorry....im undecided...just not sure !!
You know its amazing the techniques they achieved sometimes in jewelry making.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread