gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heh... its a Bail... ring or not.,,, "Bail Ring".... is that better for you ? ? ?

:P

And technically this item in question is called in TODAY's terms... "Jump Ring".
You know I like a lot of your posts, but you are no jeweler and I am, and you are mistaken here. The bail is what the chain goes though and a pendant with as you call a "flat" ring on top will not hang properly without a bail between the ring and the chain. Jump rings are never soldered to a pendant, they are sometimes used as bails but usually refer to the little rings where the clasp is.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I like a lot of your posts, but you are no jeweler and I am, and you are mistaken here. The bail is what the chain goes though and a pendant with as you call a "flat" ring on top will not hang properly without a bail between the ring and the chain. Jump rings are never soldered to a pendant, they are sometimes used as bails but usually refer to the little rings where the clasp is.
32y here of jewelry making... dealing with and in it.

I have handled jewelry from pre 1600's (possibly earlier) to - present day gold and silver to yesterday's Monet Coro Triffari

So... what ya got now... and PS... i like your posts as well. :P

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I began working for a bead store in 1990 making jewelry and owned 2 of my own until "01"...
I have bought and sold jewelry of ALL types since.... and i mean ALL types...and have been dealing with and giving side appraisals to Flea Marketers and stores for over 20... on a multitude of antiques... and specialized in jewelry of ALL types.

But by no means do I claim to "know it all"... for this is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to claim.
But SOME DO call me an "expert". (whatever that means)

Gunsil...
Jewelry takes a lifetime to learn.... as with anything that has been produced for 33,000 years.
SO... with that said... we are both "technically" still "learning". heh

IOW... both the bail and jump ring and whatever else we have been taught to call it...,etc could all be one in the same for we both REALLY know.
But what we both should know is... history has blurred so many things ... do we not ?

So... with all that jibber jabber... we shall now rename it... to....aummm ..... errrr ahhhhhhhh

RAIL ! ! ! ... half ring half bail.

There its official... tell everyone ! :P

:)

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically my interest in Jewelry... especially REALLY OLD jewelry... began in 1980.
<---- on this day.... wearing THAT chain, heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessarily. I've got a big box of similar. Many that were handed out by the church aren't marked at all. Remember, most are worn 24/7 so they are really worn badly.
What part of my quoted statement by you did you miss... ?

The "almost" part ?

:P... heh

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting