• 3724_1.jpg
    3724_1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 2,688

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a hot machine......Some of the newer ones aren't as sensitive because many had trouble using them so the new ones were made more idiot proof. It will do well on the dry sand but could become unstable in the wet due to the addition of salt with black sand.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
speedbiu said:
Any of you have a Old silver umax with the pinpiont?
I just bought one and would appriciate any info. you could give me.I'm new here and mainly hunt the surf and beach,but my first land detector was a Bandito ll and I have always like the Tesoros.
Thanks
Chris
You have one of the best progressive DISC detectors on the market, IMHO. I have owned nearly every progenitor of the current line up, including Silvers. I currently own a Vaquero and until just the other day, a Golden uMax.
My very first detector was a Silver Sabre II and it was a goodie. Still is. The only one I like better is the SS uMax or Bandido II uMax. Or the Eldorado.... okay, any uMax format!

Here are some tips that will help you with your uMax model, including the Silver Sabre uMax. They were written for the uMax series, in general, but they apply to all of the units in the series. They apply to the current crop, too.

- Mind the SENS control unles you have a purpose.
These units are deep enough for 80% of usage and will sound off cleanly over good targets. There is little mistaking when you have gotten over something good. Conversely, they are good at discerning trash, but will get squirrely enough if you drive them too hard on a trashy site. You dont need it as high as you think you do. You'll find 6-9 is adequate for most uses.

- What about that MAX BOOST range, so tempting with it's nice bright orange highlighting?
Save it for cleaner areas and the deepest of targets. Seriously.

- Dont bother much with the pinpoint button.
All you need is to slow down a bit to pinpoint in the DISC mode, as it works well at pinpoint speeds. When they say "slow-motion VLF" at Tesoro, they mean it. This saves time and is another benefit of using a Tesoro.

- The DISC is razor edged, as it is on all Tesoros.
With a little usage, you will learn where things ID at. Practice this by placing a nickle, both a square and ring pull tab and a zinc cent on clean ground.
As you sweep over these targets, increase the DISC control with your thumb (Tesoro fans call this "thumbing," or "twiddling," and it's why Tesoro puts the control where they do.)
As you do this, you will learn where your detector cuts out on each of these. When you have that down pat, mark the spot on the DISC dial for each of these targets with a little dot of bright nailpolish. A bit of flourescent sticky tape works well, too.
You have just created a reasonable TID detector! I call it "ID Ranging." This is the way I learned before I had my first graphic TID unit. This ensured I dug more, instead of peering at some screen all the danged time.

- For general hunting, set your DISC around the pre-set below nickel.
Test this on foil bits and wads. For relics go lower to "IRON or even "ALL Metal". Even at lower DISC settings, it is very good at discerning small iron bits, up to bottlecaps.

- However it will readily signal on large iron, and seems to love steel washers.
But it gives a scraggy, chop-edge sound, not at all like good targets - which always sound smooth. With practice, you'll get it.

- Slow down to "process" signals as you pinpoint sweep over them in DISC.
We're not talking a hover or crawl here, mind you. It's going to be about a third of normal hunt speed.
Learn the old fashioned "x" method of pinpointing - - and then practice to smoothly transition in and out of that mode as you process targets. Trash will come through with choppy edged sounds as mentioned above and the DISC, when thumbed up as you do this, will let you know what the target ID range is. You should strive to establish a flowing sequence to all of this, as it will improve your hunt efficiency.

- You will find the the uMax Silver Series detectors to be subtle, with nuance to their single tone.
BUT, you have to slow over targets and "process" them as told above to learn what it is telling you. After a while and some experience youll begin to predict targets well. All long-time Tesoro users understand this and do it instinctively, but it can be lost on a newcomer if no-one tells them.

- You have the ability to "SuperTune" your detector.
Others call it HyperTuning and I first learned of this in an article by Bob Stricker, more years ago than I care to mention. Here's how to do it:

Set the threshold at the usual low hum, per the instructions. Once you've done that and have established the normal "hum", mark that point also with a dot of nail polish. Now, crank it up into the higher ranges, all the way to max if you want, and then switch back into the DISC mode.

Once "SuperTuned" this way, if you get over a really deep target, the detector will overcome the DISC lower signal limit and signal stronger on that deep target.

However, there is a trade off. Several, actually:

1. This will kill the ability to pinpoint in AM - or even use the feature. Switching back to all metal from silent search when hyper tuned is a real ear blaster, so watch it!
2. It will hit harder than needed on shallow targets, making it harder to discern depth.
3. It will make your detector noisy and "chirpy," especially in a congested target matrix (that's fancy talk for a trashy site).

But in cleaner areas with the potential for deep targets, such as in farmfield relic hunting or in the dry sand at the beach (this is an OPTIMUM place for it), it can be a real boon. Also, if you aren't sure about an "iffy" target, which might be deep, you can go into this mode and check it out. Cool, huh?!

- Save your clad finds until you can afford the small "sniper" coil.
Or just splurge and get one. Get a replacement lower rod for it, too, while you're at it, so you have a modular unit. In trashy sites, like a park or school, this really helps to separate out targets.

And here is my final tip to you...

- Buy the best, long trowel you can afford and make it your goal to wear it out.

You're going to like these detectors. They are simple beep/dig progressive models, but that simplicity is to your advantage. They are often overlooked and so can be had for fair prices. If you can get your hands on either a Sidewinder, Silver Sabre, or Eldorado uMax...well, you have some of the best in the bunch!
You can find lots of stuff with them, they are sheer joy to use for hours on end and you have a very capable detector at not a lot of money. That's a bargain, these days.
(C) dahut, 2008. All rights reserved.

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is awesome!

My main machine is an MXT Pro (love). I was looking for a machine for my girlfriend and considered the notion "ahh just get her an ACE 250 or 350 and we'll be happy"

A while back I read about how well the Compadres perform for their price range and how they easily outperform the 1 and 2 ACES. A majority of people when asked would perfer the Tesoro compadre due to their tone and their operating frequency compared to the freq of the ACES.

I found a guy selling a near mint condition silver sabre umax... did a few google searches, and bought it. the general consensus was that any of these silver was an excellent golf club in the bag.

its funny to hear experienced diggers all come back and say "this is a great detector that can hold its own vs models 2 or 3 times the price"

that being said i took it to the park today for a lil comparison.

1)go over the area once with the Tesoro
2)go back over it with mxt pro (w 6x9 DD Eclipse)

see what i pickup with the mxt that i missed with the Tesoro.

so after the first pass with the Tesoro i had $1.82 in change. 6 quarters 2 dimes 2 nickels 2 pennies. 5 bottle tops. 1 button 1 square brass pin

then i went back over the area with my MXT Pro.

I will say I did cover some ground with it that I didnt with the Tesoro but mainly tried to stay on the same path. In other words, I wasnt TOO particular of where i swing.

I came back with another 4 quarters, 2 pennies 1 dime and 5 pulltabs.

I strongly believe the mxt pro did in fact pick up 2 quarters i missed with the Tesoro. and 5 pull tabs. (which i may have been running the disc on the tesoro a tad high).

the tesoro will hit "hard" on good clean objects. and garbly on trash. I have this vision of what a signal looks like.. it looks like a top hat. as you pass over a good object the tone instantly sharply signals and then falls off the other edge of the target just as quick. its a clear signal with definitive "edges".

I am used to my slight hum from my MXT Pro. it feels alive to me... it feels like im lasering the earth scanning. (sorry im stoned right now). The silent sweeping of the tesoro was kinda hard to adjust to. You wont hear anything whispering to you.... so no need for grey ghosts or black widow headsets with this machine. The tesoro has more of a difinitive "bottom" to its depth. the mxt pro you can hike the gain up and get more signals and hear the breaks in discrimination and those DEEP faint targets that you wont with the Tesoro. But i dont usually hunt that deep... or really even pay attention to it that much but i am used to it imy my ear. Its like an extra layer of sound to listen to in addition to your obvious big hits.

anyways hope this is insightful.

I really do like the silver sabre umax... i told my gf i dont care which one you use today .. ill run the tesoro if you want to use my mxt. either way im happy ... shes happy.

I do feel its a much better purchase than an ace 250 (maybe not a 350 due to the DD coil).

You dont get a fancy digital screen... but lets be honest. I can put a sock over my mxt screen and i dig based on the heaviness of the hit. yeah sure its cool to see what the screen says to give you some insight, but if its a big hit.... youre gonna dig it right?? so do you REALLY need a screen? id rather have a better operating frequency than gadgetry.

I think the ACE150/250 run around 6.5kHz?? Tesoro silver sabre runs at 10.6. MXT Pro Runs at 15.

Plus the Tesoro is backed by a lifetime warranty regardless of the owner. What else do ya need?

lata..

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was just over looking my last post...

the mxt pro picked up 5 pulltabs that the tesoro didnt. I got nickel with the tesoro so my disc wasnt too high... i guess it just didnt hit on thosee pulltabs... or the signal sounded trashy enough to me to not dig them. cool!! Granted they could have been rings. But i think if it was a ring it would hit hard and crisp (like the nickels) and i would have dug em.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are just terrible, that' why I have THREE of them. Excellent park/tot lot/ fair grounds detectors and perfect for club planted hunts.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions