Old stone structure?

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I found this old stone structure while deer hunting last fall on the side of a small mountain ridge. Does anyone know what it might have been used for? As you can see in the pics it has a small hole in the center of base, and a 10ft. or larger circular hole on top. I havnt found any trash pits around and I havnt detected it as I dont own a metal detector at this time. Im just interested in knowing what it was and its time period......looks real old.

Attachments

• Picture 133.jpg
    Picture 133.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 753

Jerxs

Apr 10, 2004
NEPA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it could be some sort of furnace. We have similar looking structures that were used as I believe iron furnaces.

Jer

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Here's a photo of one of the rock ovens left behind by crews working on the Kettle Valley Railway in British Columbia, sometime between 1910 and 1916. Just goes to show that some ancient-looking stone structures can be newer than you might think.

Attachments

• oven.jpg
    oven.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 729
Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
Here's a photo of one of the rock ovens left behind by crews working on the Kettle Valley Railway in British Columbia, sometime between 1910 and 1916. Just goes to show that some ancient-looking stone structures can be newer than you might think.

It appears to be the right size for your theory. I would most certainly go back and do some exploration on the ruin.
The stones to the back may be the top of the structure.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Thanks. However, I really don't have any theory about it, nor have I actually visited the site. I just came across it some time ago at the website below, where the photo is captioned, "90 Year old rock ovens left by the builders of the railbed can be seen near the resort along the KVR."

http://www.chutelakeresort.com/about.html

Upvote 0

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Upvote 0
P

PostFatal

The opening at the bottom doesn't look like it belongs there. It looks more like a place where someone broke in. no idea what it is unless it was a tomb at one time but if it were a tomb or even a furnace I would expect the opening to be better finnished.

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cryptodave said:
It is a furnace... Where I grew up in KY we had them all over the place. They melted the iron ore out of rocks.

Yeah, a furnace in KY for smelting iron ore! :D :D :D More like a still! ;D ;D My family is from Crittenden Cty, KY (just West of Louisville). There's actually a McChesney Hill in Crittenden Cty. My GGGrandfather was in Sypert's 13th Kentucky Cavalry CSA in the late unpleasantness between the states! ;D

Mike

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diving doc said:
Isn't a draft necessary for smelting?

What do you think the hole in the bottom is for? You can use it to feed wood in at the base of the still cooker, and it naturally draws the air in from the bottom.

Mike

Attachments

• Still 1.jpg
    Still 1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 655
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread