Old Tenn. cabin in family - Research tips

P

Peter Pan

Hello group,
I am new to MDing and have just found out that my wife's family owns a cabin in Tenn. that is over 100 years old, and sits on 100 acres of land that they lease back for cattle grazing. I would like to know where to start researching this area for clues as what to possibly look for in the area. I have a background in archaeology and know how to research. I was wondering if you know any "good" research internet sites that I can get a handle on the history of the area and any previous owners of the property. I look forward to hearing your suggestions. Thanks in advance.
The Pan Man

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
1) You might try looking at the abstract if the family will let you, 2) if not or not handy, check the county records-of course you'll need the land description
Can you at least give a clue as to what county it's in? If you don't want to do that and you know the county, then try going to a search engine like yahoo. Above the search line is Web, Images, Video, Directory, Local, News, Shopping.
Try typing in say 1800's Tennessee or 1800's ------ County, Tennessee and see what shows.
Best of luck and HH. Let us know if somewhat successful.
stoney56

OP
OP
P

Peter Pan

Thanks Stoney56
Unfortunately I do not know what it is located at this time, I have to ask my wifes father and he is out of country for the next two to three weeks. However I do know it is in the southwestern part of the state. I will use the suggestions you gave me however as they seem a good place to start. Thanks again.
Pan Man

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Stoney56,

Hello from a fellow Tennessean. The county records are and excellent start. The office you want to go to is the tax-assessors office or county court clerk. If the government does anything right, it's keeping records. That said, you live in South West TN huh? Well, let me tell you, I was stationed in Millington, Tn for two years and that is some of the best detecting I have ever done! Shiloh, La Grange, Germantown, and Warsaw are just a few places you can still find really good Civil War relics. Shiloh is a national battle field and off limits but I have hunted adjoining property on Bark Road a couple of times and I never came away empty handed. Best of luck to you and if you find yourself around Middle Tennessee the first week in August, drop me an e-mail at [email protected] and we will see if we can work out a hunt together.

Chris Reynolds
Senior Chief Petty Officer, USN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread