Old two man cross-cut saw

Sager8130

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Struck out at an 1850's school house today. Found some old square nails and got a million iron hits. The ground was so full of rocks it was almost impossible to dig.

Came home and started on an old tote road not far away. Before I even for there I found an old tree stump with a bunch of square nails in it. Right after that I found this old two man cross-cut saw and a file right next to it. The saw is broken at one end but it was still a cool find. Would have been even better if it had the handles still on it. Tote road was a bust.

Anyone have any idea how old it is?

null_zps0d8b3dc6.jpg

null_zps0c568f50.jpg

null_zps3c55ea25.jpg

Upvote 1

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That saw is awesome !!
Back in the day it took two guys to use one of those saws....
Keep @ it and HH !!

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II & Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found one just like it at a site if been swinging over... :-)

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad was on one end of one of those saws about 1930 or so. He teamed up with his best friend in the Blue Mts of Eastern Oregon. Took their wives to a logging camp and stayed almost one year.
So, those kinds of saws were still being used in the /30s.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

Sager8130

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do still make these today, mostly for competition. In my case I'm guessing it was mid 1800's to early 1900's because there was a lot of logging in this area in that time period. There is a river just down the road that they would bring the logs to and float them down to the mill. They used oxen to pull the logs, as is evident by the oxen shoes that I've found in the area. I found saw right at the base of a really old hollow tree stump, so it probably broke while they were cutting that tree. It was about 3 inches down with tons a roots grown all around it, major pain digging it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread