Old Vets Might Enjoy

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found these little jewels not far from a WWII Army Airfield in the Texas Panhandle. Looks like a section of a ammo belt. They look like fifty cal. they all have pin dimples in the primers but are still loaded. Sorry for the head stamp picture, but it has the letters "KS" and the number 43. I'm guessing that was the year they were made. I'm also guessing they were ejected from a B-17 or B-25 Gun placement. Just wonder if they had a real problem with duds. Some of you old vets chime in ! Although I had my MD these were surface finds about ten miles from the airfield.The wind has been horrible here all winter and the drought has let the ground move around so they were just laying there. Some old timers might enjoy these. Would love to hear back from you!! The Kid Army 003.JPG Army 004.JPG

Upvote 4

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since you asked... based on the 5-cent coin, they appear to be US .30-caliber machine gun cartridges. You are correct, the "43" stamped into their base is the year of manufacture. The "KS" stamping represents the ammo manufacturing facility, but I cannot recall its name. The fact that one of the cartridges still has a belt-link on it indicates they were not ejected from an airplane's machine gun.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking they are .50 cal manufactured in Maryland at the Kelly Springfield plant. Definitely not an expert so don't hold me to it.

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is .50 cal. I have a few but, mine are marked "SL 43" for the St. Louis plant. Nice find!

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Cannonball for all that good info! I'm proud to have learned a little something today!

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also big thanks to Beezo and Pull Tab !!!!

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are cool finds. Fired a lot of .50 cal overseas. Some of them were marked LC 43 and they still shot like they were just made.

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Trivia for today, the KS headstamp was the Kelly Springfield Allegany Ordnance Plant in Maryland. Kelly Springfield Tire operated it in 1943 and 1944.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread