Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this old warranted butcher's cleaver in the trash a few days ago. I think it's from the late 19th century or the early 20th at the very latest, but I haven't been able to find any information about the company that produced it.

Has anyone any information on the company E. V. Alford & Co. of Brooklyn NY? Thanks. :)

Polish_20230331_174709969.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can you make out any of the ghost writing where it's stamped 8.

Upvote 1

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this old warranted butcher's cleaver in the trash a few days ago. I think it's from the late 19th century or the early 20th at the very latest, but I haven't been able to find any information about the company that produced it.

Has anyone any information on the company E. V. Alford & Co. of Brooklyn NY? Thanks. :)

View attachment 2076646
Page 14 has them making fixtures.

This document has EV Alford ordering beef and fish some-things....

What's interesting is you have a fixture builder(I'm guessing wooden stuff) named Lamson and Goodnow that's names would be on renown knives.
And a hotel (?) type customer (or butcher?) in EV ALford with thier name on your cleaver.
With no cutlery business mentioned.

IF it's the same outfit , is it really related to nearly ten years laters founding of a cutlery co.?

Upvote 2
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Page 14 has them making fixtures.

This document has EV Alford ordering beef and fish some-things....

What's interesting is you have a fixture builder(I'm guessing wooden stuff) named Lamson and Goodnow that's names would be on renown knives.
And a hotel (?) type customer (or butcher?) in EV ALford with thier name on your cleaver.
With no cutlery business mentioned.

IF it's the same outfit , is it really related to nearly ten years laters founding of a cutlery co.?
Very interesting. If that E. V. Alford made fixtures, that means they likely had the ability to make knives too!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread