Oldest Coin yet - 1816 Austrian Kreuzer found in small Indiana BSA Camp

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a 205 year old Austrian coin (Ein Kreuzer) from 1816 at an old Boy Scout Camp established in 1942 in Indiana. I have no explanation for how it got there. I have found hundreds of modern clad coins. You can't walk 20 steps without digging a coin, a neckerchief slide, a pocket knife, piece of tin foil, or tent stake. This coin was a real surprise. It appears the coin was run over by a train or something that flattened one corner of the front section of the coin. The limited web research I have done suggest that it was minted in Romania (G mint mark). I have included photos of a undug example. The alloy is unusual and its heavy - copper, bronze?

Other interesting finds:

A 25 cent trade token - marked airportransit, Los Angeles, 10053 International Road - I'd love to lean more about the age and purpose of such a token. Anyone ever seen one of these?

A medical grade stainless steel pocket knife marked "winchester" on the blade

Attachments

• IMG_4065.jpg
    IMG_4065.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4066.jpg
    IMG_4066.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4073.jpg
    IMG_4073.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4074.jpg
    IMG_4074.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    803.7 KB · Views: 67
  • token Back.jpg
    token Back.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • token front.jpg
    token front.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Upvote 19
OP
OP
OhioTrevor

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trevor,
Good score you never know what you'll find at a given site! Kind of like going on an Easter egg hunt each outing!
Thank you. Agreed. That's part of what makes the hobby so interesting.

Last edited:

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old coin surprise. I love when stuff like that happens.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 205 year old Austrian coin (Ein Kreuzer) from 1816 at an old Boy Scout Camp established in 1942 in Indiana. I have no explanation for how it got there. I have found hundreds of modern clad coins. You can't walk 20 steps without digging a coin, a neckerchief slide, a pocket knife, piece of tin foil, or tent stake. This coin was a real surprise. It appears the coin was run over by a train or something that flattened one corner of the front section of the coin. The limited web research I have done suggest that it was minted in Romania (G mint mark). I have included photos of a undug example. The alloy is unusual and its heavy - copper, bronze?

Other interesting finds:

A 25 cent trade token - marked airportransit, Los Angeles, 10053 International Road - I'd love to lean more about the age and purpose of such a token. Anyone ever seen one of these?

Nice!!!! Always cool to find something unexpected and unexplained!!! Makes the research more intriguing!!! Congrats!!!!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very nice bunch of finds !
Congrats on finding you oldest coin - it's always a day to remember !

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on the Kreuzer. Made a long way...
You're right, mint is in Romania. And it's a copper coin in very good condition for beeing dug.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I actually can tell you about that coin. that coin of that date were coins imported to Canada by some merchant or some entrepreneur during this time to be used as small change. During this period in Canada anything that could pass as a penny or half penny was used as such, including uniform buttons. The borders were very ill defined in those days and coins of all types flowed both ways. The US didn't demonetize Spanish coinage until the 1850s.

OP
OP
OhioTrevor

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job on the Kreuzer. Made a long way...
You're right, mint is in Romania. And it's a copper coin in very good condition for beeing dug.
Thanks for the link and encouragement. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
OhioTrevor

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually can tell you about that coin. that coin of that date were coins imported to Canada by some merchant or some entrepreneur during this time to be used as small change. During this period in Canada anything that could pass as a penny or half penny was used as such, including uniform buttons. The borders were very ill defined in those days and coins of all types flowed both ways. The US didn't demonetize Spanish coinage until the 1850s.
Fascinating. Thanks for the insight.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Other interesting finds:

cool finds and love those tokens, wtg

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're more likely to find unusual coins like the one you found at BSA camps and elementary schools owing to the fact that kids might be carrying stuff like that for a show and tell (as suggested in an earlier comment); I suspect if you had a Venn diagram of the type of child that carries coins around to show their friends (whether in a formal Show and Tell in class or an informal "Hey, check this out!" during recess) and the type of child that joins the Boy Scouts, you'd see a lot of overlap.

Great find, in any case!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool coin