Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a banner find but no back story. You don't metal detect? Or just not for coins? Im a little puzzled

I metal detect and do all sorts of relic hunting. I just added my youtube and instagram links to my signature. Coins are not what I look for, but if they pop out of my plug I am sure as hell NOT going to throw them back in the hole and cover them up!! LOL

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the dream find. Its actually refreshing (and unusual) to see a gold coin posted that has seen some circulation and wear. There must be something behind this. Silver coins were circulated until they were worn out. The gold coins we typically see posted are ones that didn't change hands often and therefore remain in pristine condition. Makes you wonder why this particular coin got more wear.

Good point! I remember reading long ago that gold coins circulated far more in the western US due to distrust of paper currency and the fed gov't. They circulated to a far less extent in the eastern US where paper money was more universally acceptable as payment.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool!! How many gold coins have you found?? Would love to hear the back story:notworthy:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the dream find. Its actually refreshing (and unusual) to see a gold coin posted that has seen some circulation and wear. There must be something behind this. Silver coins were circulated until they were worn out. The gold coins we typically see posted are ones that didn't change hands often and therefore remain in pristine condition. Makes you wonder why this particular coin got more wear.

Go to ebay and look at the gold coins. You'll see the $20 are mostly mint, they were kept as bullion and not circulated much. Then look at the half eagles. They are the ones that circulated the most and show the most wear. Gary

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner?
Apparently I need to provide a "Back Story", whatever that is. I was using an 8 year old Teknetics G-2. This machine has found 9 of my 10 gold coins. Rang in the 70's. Not much else I can add to what I mentioned earlier.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! What can you tell us about that find? That is all that is missing from getting that up on the Banner.

Hopefully this satisfies the back story part.

Its a site I've hunted now for two years. I was using an 8 year old Teknetics G-2. This machine has found 9 of my 10 gold coins. Rang in the 70's and was maybe 4 inches deep. When I saw the edge of the coin after it slid out of the plug I thought "You got to be ****ing me". Last place I expected to find a gold coin. I stayed calm, let my close friends know live on Marco Polo, waving to an old geezer who drove by the pasture on the road next to it. He waved back, obviously oblivious. I then took some photos, wrapped it in paper towel and secured it. I was actually more excited about the 1866 Seated Half Dollar that I found 30 mins later at a depth of 8 inches and 30 yards from the gold coin.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is amazing!! Still waiting on mine...one day.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is amazing!! Still waiting on mine...one day.
Love your youtube stuff by the way and voting banner!!

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still not worthy of the Banner huh? Why am I not surprised.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still not worthy of the Banner huh? Why am I not surprised.

It is in MY eyes brother!!!!!!! Not sure I'll ever get to the point that a Half dollar gets me more amped than a gold coin but I look forward to the day!!!!!! CONGRATZ......

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Oh, I found another gold coin and its older, just another gold coin.....

That's my guess as to why it's not up top. If it was your first one and/or the excitement was in the well laid out story with nice pics of both sides and some pics of the other finds of the day including a 1866 seated half, etc...

Fantastic find that ANYONE who digs for ANYTHING would LOVE to find. Congratulations, thanks for sharing and good luck on #11 or whatever else it is that you would rather find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread