Oldest US silver to date

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out to an old farm field my Dad used to detect about 20 years ago. I've dug a little here before but never found much. He always told me the field had potential.

This time I was digging the usual lead and shotgun head stamps when I got over a choppy high tone. It was one you can't pass up in an old field. Flipped the plug over and it was a solid signal in the zinc penny range. I saw some silver in the outer ring of the plug and it looked thin.....and old! I figured it was a half reale but after a little dirt removal it turned out to be an 1801 draped bust half dime!

I found it interesting that right on the top of the hill I was detecting on another farm is where I dug my first large cent about 25 yrs ago and it too was an 1801. After telling my Dad about the silver coin he said he snagged a NJ copper and a few LC's out of there. I guess that's why he always felt it had potential! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20220220_185753.jpg
    20220220_185753.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 955
  • 20220220_185832.jpg
    20220220_185832.jpg
    646.8 KB · Views: 797
Upvote 86

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out to an old farm field my Dad used to detect about 20 years ago. I've dug a little here before but never found much. He always told me the field had potential.

This time I was digging the usual lead and shotgun head stamps when I got over a choppy high tone. It was one you can't pass up in an old field. Flipped the plug over and it was a solid signal in the zinc penny range. I saw some silver in the outer ring of the plug and it looked thin.....and old! I figured it was a half reale but after a little dirt removal it turned out to be an 1801 draped bust half dime!

I found it interesting that right on the top of the hill I was detecting on another farm is where I dug my first large cent about 25 yrs ago and it too was an 1801. After telling my Dad about the silver coin he said he snagged a NJ copper and a few LC's out of there. I guess that's why he always felt it had potential! Thanks for looking!
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Incredible silver! Congrats

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! I love seeing when someone on the forum digs early US silver. worth around 1800 bucks in 'good (g-4)' condition, so even beat up I'd say yours should be worth several hundred.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That’s some great finds. Love that half dime!

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
As a half dime collector, I have to tell you that you found a good one. An 1800, 1803 or even a 1797 would not surprise me much, or even a 1795. An 1801 is really an unlikely find. Congrats!

Now you have to figure out which die marriage it is. The LM-2 die marriage is very scarce, but it's the most likely to locate. The LM-1 die marriage is really, really rare. You can start by checking out this page with a photo of an LM-1....

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1801-h10c-lm-1/38605

... and this page with further information about the date.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1801-h10c/4267

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread