OMFG did I just find another Civil War ID TAG??

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Need some help here! I dug this shield that looks like it may have had a pin back at one time (pin is long gone). Front has an eagle or pelican up top with wings spread. Below are three raised (formerly smooth) lines into which text has been stamped. What it appears to say is:

LEVY JOHNSON (OR IOHNSON)
U.S. R OF ?(illegible letter)
L(illegible--maybe "La?")

I could use some help figuring out what--and WHO this is! Below is a photo in artificial light and a photo in natural light.

Thanks so much, everyone!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2989.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 561
  • IMG_2990.JPG
    IMG_2990.JPG
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried editing your photo several ways and this is the best I can do. Is it possible that there is another letter between the U. and S? there seems to be space there for one. Sometimes I have luck turning a relic while I look at it through a magnifying glass.

Attachments

• ID Tag.jpg
    ID Tag.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really neat find!

I don’t think there’s another letter between the U and S since you can see the dot between the two letters exactly halfway in between. Not enough room to squeeze in another letter on either side.

I also doubt there is another letter at the end of the line (U.S.R. of) since it would have to be completely obliterated, which isn’t consistent with the level of wear/corrosion on the rest of the piece.

The “S” in Johnson definitely looks like an S to me. There’s a bit of crud or maybe a die crack throwing off the appearance but you can see the S underneath for sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I toothpicked off a bit more between the U. and the S. and I don't see another letter there. What I do see is a bit of rust where the shield was resting against an iron nail in the ground. I also toothpicked a bit around the "La" at the bottom and it's definitely an "a" there. Below it are some vertical lines that tie in with the shield motif, and at the top is definitely a pelican with spread wings and head turned to the left. I also appreciated the idea of shining a light at a right angle to the shield. I have a photo where I did that as well. Both the updated photos are attached below. Unfortunately I don't see a letter after the word "of" so I wonder if it's just "U.S.R. of Louisiana." Out of curiosity, I searched every Louisiana representative for the State of Louisiana going back to its statehood and I don't come across a Levy or Levi Johnson, so that may be a dead end. Not sure what else would be "U.S. R of Louisiana"...

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2992.JPG
    IMG_2992.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_2993.JPG
    993.9 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS-One possibility I hadn’t considered is that this could be an advertising piece from a failed US Representatives run… no idea how one would check that out.

Upvote 0

celtex

Oct 25, 2009
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PS-One possibility I hadn?t considered is that this could be an advertising piece from a failed US Representatives run? no idea how one would check that out.
Can't image the manufacturing one- off IDs for an army group of any size. The ones I've seen were blanks engraved with info. I think you onto something there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't image the manufacturing one- off IDs for an army group of any size. The ones I've seen were blanks engraved with info. I think you onto something there.

All of the ID discs during the CW were manufactured blank then stamped with names. This is likewise stamped. Again, to reiterate what I said above the raised letters everyone is seeing are the patina holding onto the stamped-in letters. The design is stamped in at a later date, not raised.

Upvote 0

celtex

Oct 25, 2009
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of the ID discs during the CW were manufactured blank then stamped with names. This is likewise stamped. Again, to reiterate what I said above the raised letters everyone is seeing are the patina holding onto the stamped-in letters. The design is stamped in at a later date, not raised.
Ones I have seen are hand engraved not stamped... Maybe several types employed. Good find no matter what it is.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.S. R of
L
(might be a few smaller letters under the L, like ?U??, Maybe July?)

The above are all the letters, I see nothing next to the right of the 'of'. So U.S. R of L. No idea what it means....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ones I have seen are hand engraved not stamped... Maybe several types employed. Good find no matter what it is.

I recommend reading the book I mentioned above, where all of the known, mass-produced civil war ID discs are listed. All of them are punch stamped or meant to be punch stamped if still blank as made. Only special order and hand made ones were engraved, which was the exception rather than the rule. Not trying to disagree but rather enlighten. I’m sure the book is available on inter library loan.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh buckleboy you never cease to amaze me it is beautiful and I will give you all the props for Metal Detecting in this humidity

hey buddy! Good god it was bad. I normally stay all day but I left at 1pm!! Heat index of 106!

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BB - Awesome piece! I know it has a story to tell!

I only found a couple references to "U. S. R.". They were in reference to the United States Revenue Cutter Service (AKA US Revenue Marines) - which ultimately became the US Coast Guard in the early 20th C.

The cutter USRC Robert McClelland and the brig USRC Washington (famed in 1839 for bringing in the slave ship La Amistad) were seized by Louisiana authorities in the port of New Orleans in 1860.

Upvote 0

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Very cool find whatever it turns out to be. Just a thought here... U S R of... could the of actually NOT be the word of, but possibly be the beginning of an abbreviation for "office" or "officer"??? Maybe another part to go down in researching.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB - Awesome piece! I know it has a story to tell!

I only found a couple references to "U. S. R.". They were in reference to the United States Revenue Cutter Service (AKA US Revenue Marines) - which ultimately became the US Coast Guard in the early 20th C.

The cutter USRC Robert McClelland and the brig USRC Washington (famed in 1839 for bringing in the slave ship La Amistad) were seized by Louisiana authorities in the port of New Orleans in 1860.

thx Matt! We have dug 1850s revenue marine buttons in the area!

Upvote 0

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find! Wish I could help.

US Republicans of La