On/Off on the 800

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question fella's, not knowing if anyone has had this happen. In the last few weeks, on occasion after detecting for the day, when I turn off the detector, it does not really turn of, instead, the screen goes blank and then you get the two black bars going around and around in a circle, then shuts down, and then starts with the two bars again, then shuts down, then starts up again etc... When finally able to shut it off for good, (repeat pressing of the on/off button) trying to start it up again, the same thing might happen. Now this does not ALWAYS happen, but it has at least a few times or more. I think it has happened when the battery strength was at one or two bars. My big concern is that if in a park, and it happens, and cannot operate, I go back to the car, but a few weeks ago, I hiked down into a canyon with another guy, and the hike back UPHILL was very long and steep, at 70, it about killed my legs and hips, I would have been disappointed? if the detector would not have worked when I had gotten down there. (being mild there). Now I'm thinking contact minelab, and perhaps sending it in somewhere, being in the on/off button connection, or COULD it be the battery? a new one being in order. I have seen them on KellyCo, and a thing on you-tube on how to replace them. I do have other detectors, but I do like the 800, but need it to be reliable. Any thoughts on this at all? Anyone run into this. This Forum seemed to be the best place to ask, many of you members really know their stuff. My next place will be to contact Minelab itself. I know this was long winded, but tried to lay it out best I could. Dave

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question fella's, not knowing if anyone has had this happen. In the last few weeks, on occasion after detecting for the day, when I turn off the detector, it does not really turn of, instead, the screen goes blank and then you get the two black bars going around and around in a circle, then shuts down, and then starts with the two bars again, then shuts down, then starts up again etc... When finally able to shut it off for good, (repeat pressing of the on/off button) trying to start it up again, the same thing might happen. Now this does not ALWAYS happen, but it has at least a few times or more. I think it has happened when the battery strength was at one or two bars. My big concern is that if in a park, and it happens, and cannot operate, I go back to the car, but a few weeks ago, I hiked down into a canyon with another guy, and the hike back UPHILL was very long and steep, at 70, it about killed my legs and hips, I would have been disappointed? if the detector would not have worked when I had gotten down there. (being mild there). Now I'm thinking contact minelab, and perhaps sending it in somewhere, being in the on/off button connection, or COULD it be the battery? a new one being in order. I have seen them on KellyCo, and a thing on you-tube on how to replace them. I do have other detectors, but I do like the 800, but need it to be reliable. Any thoughts on this at all? Anyone run into this. This Forum seemed to be the best place to ask, many of you members really know their stuff. My next place will be to contact Minelab itself. I know this was long winded, but tried to lay it out best I could. Dave
Someone may be of help to you. I do not have an 800. I will ask a stupid question. Did you take the batteries out for a while? On some other detectors, and I bet 800, there is a reset to factory. Usually by holding button when starting up. Check your manual. But sounds like a short somewhere.

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, no stupid questions here. We learn things on T-Net from each other by the asking of questions. No, no battery's taken out. The EQ has a rechargeable battery and you plug into the machine to recharge it. Battery is located in the handle, but how long they will fully function? 2 or 3 or 4 years, I really do not know, or even if it would cause what I've experienced. I had thought of a "re-set", can't see that being it at all though, and I think that would undo any up grades that we may of installed.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start with a master reset. If it continues to do it, I'd call Minelab and get their opinion. Is it still in warranty? MIne did that once about 3 years ago. Hasn't done it since.....knock, knock.

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start with a master reset. If it continues to do it, I'd call Minelab and get their opinion. Is it still in warranty? MIne did that once about 3 years ago. Hasn't done it since.....knock, knock.
Agree 100%? Do the Factory Reset first because it's easy. I'm betting on a flakey on/off button and you'll probably be sending it in to the Minelab service center in PA. They are reasonably quick with sending out replacement control pods. I hope you are still in the generous 3 year warranty period. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then... I did do a "Re-set" and it will not work. Turn it on, screen comes up, then shuts off in a flash, back to the two bars swimming around, on and off back and forth. So....I'm thinking now it is nothing to do with the battery, on off switch or something else inside. Can not remember when I bought it, but will find out and Monday will contact Minelab about sending it in. If not still under warranty it will depend on cost. I really like the machine, but after 900$ I am not willing to speed a few hundred? more on it. I've had 8 different detectors over the years, still have them in fact, never had one fail like this, along with breaking an ear on the coil, which has never happened before, kind of a fragile machine in a way. Not my first Minelab, I still have the X-Terra 70 and the Safari. Never any issues. Will see what next week brings fella's. Thanks for your input. You know, when I did do the Re-set, the screen did flash for an instant, like the back lite at it brightest and then dark again, the FP did show, the light surprised me though.

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....It is no longer under warranty. It expired Oct. 21. I will say that Minelab was really quick to respond, I went online only this morning, and Minelab has already replied twice today, the first to acknowledge my E-Mail and the form filled out about repairs, and the second one to say that my warranty has expired, but that I can send it in to be looked at, although they did point out that the control pods have NO serviceable parts other than the battery. They did say that it would seem more like I would have to order a new control pod for the 800 at $429. So... It's up to me. I do not think it's the battery at all, one thought was to buy a new battery from KellyCo, and go on U-Tube to see how to install it, and if that did not work, order the new pod and keep the new battery as a future spare. (My wife's idea) or bite the bullet and buy the Pod. Now I still have all the detectors I've ever owned, so it's not like I'm without, and actually have the new Legend on the way at some point in time, but I really like the EQ, and would have a future use for it. Bottom line, it's all up to me. At least you fella's know the cost of a new pod IF it should ever come up. And that is my update. Great detector, just kind of fragile I think. Broke an ear on the coil, never happened with 8 older detectors over 35 years, and now the control pod has failed, again never happened before. Not my first minelab, so I am somewhat disappointed. Guess it is what it is.

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last comment, I'll let it go after this. Tried the 800 again, I thought I might go ahead and order a new Pod, turned it on, 2nd time, screen came up, seemed to work, tried one of the other buttons, it shut down, got the screen again, tried the Freq. button, it shut down. So.. tried the Factory Preset again, and this time, no flash of light on the screen etc., it just worked to a Factory Pre set as you would expect, showed the FP, and seems to be working again. Now I will say that I gave it a light smack on the back of the control pod, same as your mom did to you to get your attention, must of worked. The last half hour have been turning it on and off and scrolling thru various settings, threw a quarter on the ground etc. seems to be find. Checked settings after the Pre-Set and everything is the same, still have the 4Khz, recover speed is as I had left it, at 7. Don't know. Perhaps it did not do a Pre-set the first time, or perhaps the smack on the back of the head? We'll see what happens. Do I have the confidence to go on a long hike or climb down into a canyon with it in hopes it will work? Nope. But I will use it in some parks for now. "cudamark" said it happened to him about 3yrs. ago, hasn't happened since, so, I'm hoping for the same. Going to go ahead and say, "Good luck to me".

vinnywop

Oct 9, 2020
Stafford, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity, did you ever submerge your Nox under water?

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I did, 3 years ago just to test it for leaks, there had been a problem then about that. I just posted a (long) comment on a post by calabash "EQ # 4 goes down. Semms it has not been my problem only.

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to know if you purchase a new pod from Minelab for $429, do you also get a new 3 year warranty? My warranty expires in 1 day. Last year I had 2 headphones and 1 pod replaced by Minelab all under warranty very quickly. I'm expecting a good possibility of my pod going out again. If a replacement pod comes with a new 3 year warranty I would most likely purchase a new pod because of my investments in coils and carbon shafts. Also hoping Minelab has improved their quality control. If no warranty, then I'll be looking for a new more reliable detector.
Just of note, I have a Garrett ADS III Deepsinker detector I bought in 1983 that still works. Minelab needs to get their s___ together or they will be losing business.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had researched both the 800 and Deus extensively as my most likely options when I was looking for something new. It was the reviews, both in articles and on YouTube mainly, that made finally deciding on the Deus my choice. Although my final decision was based on more than reliability and durability, it was definitely an important part of my thought process.

Criticism of the 800s build quality isn't difficult to find online although I'm sure it's a great machine in other ways. I know I would have been happy with the 800's performance if that's what I finally decided on, but I wonder if the durability issue would have made me regret that choice eventually.

So, for 800 users, are durability issues even remotely common for these machines?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to know if you purchase a new pod from Minelab for $429, do you also get a new 3 year warranty? My warranty expires in 1 day. Last year I had 2 headphones and 1 pod replaced by Minelab all under warranty very quickly. I'm expecting a good possibility of my pod going out again. If a replacement pod comes with a new 3 year warranty I would most likely purchase a new pod because of my investments in coils and carbon shafts. Also hoping Minelab has improved their quality control. If no warranty, then I'll be looking for a new more reliable detector.
Just of note, I have a Garrett ADS III Deepsinker detector I bought in 1983 that still works. Minelab needs to get their s___ together or they will be losing business.
I would think a new control pod would INDEED come with a new 3 year warranty, if not, it would be a no go in the future. As with lamarkeiko, a carbon fiber shaft, a 6" coil, broken coil ear, a failed control pod (for a few days at least, for now anyway) and last week, the arm cup broke in half, ordered a new one. Look fella's, I am not knocking the EQ 800 itself as far as it's operation and capabilities, it is a really good machine, and I really liked it but it does seem somewhat fragile. You can see under my user name detectors I have and still do own, and never an issue with any one of them. If I ever receive the Legend I ordered, the 800 I own can't be my "go to" machine anymore, at least the one I own. I guess it is still waterproof, just not going to find out. Can't know what might be next. I've only owned it for 3 1/2 years. Again, all you detector people who own one, you may NEVER have these things come up. I truly hope not. Sooo....good luck and may all your coins be old and shallow, and the dirt always be soft.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say about "common" unless we know how many were sold and how many have had a particular part break. I haven't heard any official numbers on that. There seem to be a just few items that most people have had fail. The most common of them are: Watertightness of the control pod., coil ears (mostly the 12 x 15, and to a lessor extent the 11"), and the arm rest cuff. Personally, I've had the following break under warranty.....the wireless headphones due to a faulty wire socket, the arm rest cuff, and (2) 12 X 15" coils. My 800 gets used a LOT, in the ocean, out in the desert, parks, beaches, schools, private properties, etc, both here in the U.S, and overseas. It's been submerged, but, I don't make a habit of it. It gets a good fresh water wash down after every salt water hunt.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had other detectors break too, so, it's not just a MInelab thing. My White's Eagle SL90 needed a new pod once, a pin point switch replaced, and several White's I've owned had the bottom clevis snap off. The shaft/pod connection on my first detector 51 years ago broke off and I had to fiberglass it together permanently. I've had countless wired headphones with cord or speaker problems over the years. Charging clips on the Deus 1, Garret Master Hunter control board, and Fisher Gold Bug coil also come to mind as well as some other Minelab models that have had various parts fail. It's pretty much part of what we can expect from the use and abuse we put these machines through. Naturally, we would like to have zero problems forever, but, breakdowns are going to occur in just about anything we buy if you use it long enough.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
One idea for those once your detector is 2 years old... while the Equinox is still selling well.. sell get a new one... and have 3 more years of warranty... Mine is just 2 monthsold.. no issues except the tid being terrible and the depth meter is like something on a $50 model...

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had researched both the 800 and Deus extensively as my most likely options when I was looking for something new. It was the reviews, both in articles and on YouTube mainly, that made finally deciding on the Deus my choice. Although my final decision was based on more than reliability and durability, it was definitely an important part of my thought process.

Criticism of the 800s build quality isn't difficult to find online although I'm sure it's a great machine in other ways. I know I would have been happy with the 800's performance if that's what I finally decided on, but I wonder if the durability issue would have made me regret that choice eventually.

So, for 800 users, are durability issues even remotely common for these machines?
I have read about other folks having issue's , but for my money , up to this point , I havent had any issues . I bought my 800 in 2018 and must have been one of the lucky folks because its worked great up to this point . The only thing I have'nt tried yet is submerging it under water . I am a bit leery but I will have a need this year . I guess I'll find out one way or the other . Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to check and prep my machine for water use before hand ?

Al

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunk it now if it's still under warranty. If it isn't, keep it dry.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 600 developed and issue with the on off switch.
It would turn on all by itself. Then it refused to shut off.
I sent it in for a look see and they said it was working fine.
It self corrected during the trip to the repair facility.
My analysis was it did not like the summer heat if left in the car and the switch would stick due to expansion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread