On Sherman's Trail in NC(almost 158 years ago to the day!)

8mygritz

Sep 21, 2015
maryland
Detector(s) used
propointer,350,AT pro(rarely use,prefer 350).
Primary Interest:
Other
Spent hundreds of hours over the last few years locating campsites from Goldsboro to Raleigh. Many maps & regimental histories .Have located 6 of them, hunted 3,but this is the only spot that I actually found things that verified my research. These were 1 day camps.
IMG_4410.JPEG
1st found a bullet 3 yrs. ago but was unable to get back to this site until few weekends ago(twice). The area is now being developed so I was fortunate to make these finds before it will be lost to history. I made this plaque & nailed it to a tree. Finds include 1st gold coin ever($1 Charlotte),a bazaar 1/2 a bullet(can anyone explain that ?)& a Williams cleaner w/zinc insert removed(unique to Sherman's army after research)& the longest Black snake I have ever come across! This was a wing that comprised 4 regiments & this spot was obviously where a group was stationed to guard the river crossing leading towards the main area of the campsite.

Attachments

• IMG_4236.JPEG
    IMG_4236.JPEG
    2 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4237.JPEG
    IMG_4237.JPEG
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_4249.JPEG
    IMG_4249.JPEG
    2.5 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4253.JPEG
    IMG_4253.JPEG
    1.9 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4260.JPEG
    IMG_4260.JPEG
    1.6 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_4261.JPEG
    IMG_4261.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4326.JPEG
    IMG_4326.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4324.JPEG
    IMG_4324.JPEG
    2 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4327.JPEG
    IMG_4327.JPEG
    758.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4432.JPEG
    IMG_4432.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_4436.JPEG
    IMG_4436.JPEG
    980.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_4435.JPEG
    IMG_4435.JPEG
    965.4 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4412.JPEG
    IMG_4412.JPEG
    3.6 MB · Views: 227
  • IMG_4411.JPEG
    IMG_4411.JPEG
    2.8 MB · Views: 201
  • IMG_4338.JPEG
    IMG_4338.JPEG
    2.7 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4466.JPEG
    IMG_4466.JPEG
    2 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_4471.JPEG
    IMG_4471.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_4470.JPEG
    IMG_4470.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4545.JPEG
    IMG_4545.JPEG
    1 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4546.JPEG
    IMG_4546.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4547.JPEG
    IMG_4547.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Upvote 40
May 30, 2021
Rock Hill, SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Marko Simplex+, Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent hundreds of hours over the last few years locating campsites from Goldsboro to Raleigh. Many maps & regimental histories .Have located 6 of them, hunted 3,but this is the only spot that I actually found things that verified my research. These were 1 day camps. View attachment 2020506 1st found a bullet 3 yrs. ago but was unable to get back to this site until few weekends ago(twice). The area is now being developed so I was fortunate to make these finds before it will be lost to history. I made this plaque & nailed it to a tree. Finds include 1st gold coin ever($1 Charlotte),a bazaar 1/2 a bullet(can anyone explain that ?)& a Williams cleaner w/zinc insert removed(unique to Sherman's army after research)& the longest Black snake I have ever come across! This was a wing that comprised 4 regiments & this spot was obviously where a group was stationed to guard the river crossing leading towards the main area of the campsite.
Amazing that he left a sign to show just where her was :)

Honestly though, Great research and hunting. I dream of having days like this and have chased a few of Sherman's trails here on South Carolina.

OP
OP
8mygritz

8mygritz

Sep 21, 2015
maryland
Detector(s) used
propointer,350,AT pro(rarely use,prefer 350).
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing that he left a sign to show just where her was :)

Honestly though, Great research and hunting. I dream of having days like this and have chased a few of Sherman's trails here on South Carolina.
because someone else may hunt there.?unless someone(who happened to have a m/d!)& lived right there or passed that spot often,it would be hard to find.the 1st time i was there 3 yrs ago there was no signs of construction.now there's a road there which means it could be developed soon.if i didn't find everything then i hope someone else finds something before the spot is eatin' by development.
if there is anything i've learned after 10 yrs & 5 1/2 k coins,not counting pennies & all other things of value or not,no one person can find everything!most of the things i found were in the the 1st 5 yrs.(i've considerably slacked off since then).i don't care if someone hunts my spots.i still find things in spots that i,ve hunted multiple times & i know others had been there too.if you just started don't give up if you didn't find something one particular day!
the other thing i learned is you're not going to hear(don't know why people think they do!)signals in a headset that you won't hear on the m/d speaker.a headset might be usefull if you are hunting under a landing or taking off pattern near an airport.i've never used one since the 1st day.the added benefit of not using a headset is less equipment to tote around & people can't sneak up on you in the woods!
you can also save digging time by checking the ground w/your pinpointer before you dig.most people(i've seen)don't use their pointer until after they dig.majority of things i've found are within pinpointer range(2-3").smaller hole & sometimes no hole because things are right on the surface covered by leaves or grass.
by the way,i've hunted in your area.i grew up in charlotte & have family from rock hill & ft.mill.the sign in my avatar is on family(private!)property in ft.mill.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021
Rock Hill, SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Marko Simplex+, Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
because someone else may hunt there.?unless someone(who happened to have a m/d!)& lived right there or passed that spot often,it would be hard to find.the 1st time i was there 3 yrs ago there was no signs of construction.now there's a road there which means it could be developed soon.if i didn't find everything then i hope someone else finds something before the spot is eatin' by development.
if there is anything i've learned after 10 yrs & 5 1/2 k coins,not counting pennies & all other things of value or not,no one person can find everything!most of the things i found were in the the 1st 5 yrs.(i've considerably slacked off since then).i don't care if someone hunts my spots.i still find things in spots that i,ve hunted multiple times & i know others had been there too.if you just started don't give up if you didn't find something one particular day!
the other thing i learned is you're not going to hear(don't know why people think they do!)signals in a headset that you won't hear on the m/d speaker.a headset might be usefull if you are hunting under a landing or taking off pattern near an airport.i've never used one since the 1st day.the added benefit of not using a headset is less equipment to tote around & people can't sneak up on you in the woods!
you can also save digging time by checking the ground w/your pinpointer before you dig.most people(i've seen)don't use their pointer until after they dig.majority of things i've found are within pinpointer range(2-3").smaller hole & sometimes no hole because things are right on the surface covered by leaves or grass.
by the way,i've hunted in your area.i grew up in charlotte & have family from rock hill & ft.mill.the sign in my avatar is on family(private!)property in ft.mill.
Love the tips. Thanks for the details. If you’re ever back in this area let me know and we’ll go Detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread