On Track for 100 Silvers FTY & an odd Medal

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I meant to post this yesterday but I ran out of time. The past couple hunts I've been randomly walking the wooded areas in Pittsburgh. The Nox doesn't let me pass up any targets in my path. I'm on pace for 100 dug silver coins this year, I'm at 26 as of this post. Should I count other silver finds too and do a combined total?

Tuesday I got a first hole silver for the second time in a week and scored a 1927 Merc. Then later on my walk I got a 47-S Rosie (slightly bent). Thanks to everyone with good ideas on how to straighten coins without doing more damage. I've been finding a lot lately. I got an 1880 Indian on this hunt (no picture).
2020-04-02_21.44.48.jpg

Yesterday I did more of the same and scored a couple more Indians (no picture). If the Indians don't clean up well i hesitate to post them. I find a bunch in SWPA. I also got a 1922 version Pittsburgh Railways Token, those are common finds as well. Later on my walk I dug a 40s Jefferson nickel then I got this 43 Merc near by.
2020-04-01_20.31.19.jpg

The odd find of the day was this Wilhelm I Deutsch Kaiser Manover 1886 Medal. I had to wet it to bring out the details for a picture.
2020-04-01_20.34.09.jpg
2020-04-01_20.35.42.jpg
Below I found some photos on foreign eBay for a better look at the details. The page was in Polish language. There were a lot of variations to the Wilhelm I medals.
s-l300.jpg s-l300 (1).jpg

We'll see what the weekend turns up. Thanks for looking!

Upvote 14
OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an Indian that I found in the past month that is cleaning up well with some green patina. I spend time on these examples because the details pop. Most of the others aren't photogenic.
2020-04-02_23.27.34.jpg

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds!! That IHP should clean up just fine, are you using andre’s pencils? I found a few IHP this past weekend with fire damage that will never clean up. I’ve found if you let them dry for a few days they are much easier to get clean. Keep up the good work on the silver!! I’ll race you to 100(: Im about tied with you now

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silvers Louis! You seem to be consistently finding one or two every hunt, which seems like the strategy / pace you will need around here. Not that it is easy... you know my struggles this year. Keep it up! Congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done, keep up the good work! :occasion14:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Awesome finds my friend!

I keep track of both: total silver objects and silver coins. 100 silver objects is goal #1. 100 silver coins can be a stretch goal. I hit 100 silver coins in 2018 and 94 last year. It's always a fun challenge trying to see how high you can run that total up!! :)

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds!! That IHP should clean up just fine, are you using andre’s pencils? I found a few IHP this past weekend with fire damage that will never clean up. I’ve found if you let them dry for a few days they are much easier to get clean. Keep up the good work on the silver!! I’ll race you to 100(: Im about tied with you now

Yes I use Andres pencils. I should try letting them sit a few days and see if that helps. Good idea!

We'll have to compare totals on December 31st!

Nice silvers Louis! You seem to be consistently finding one or two every hunt, which seems like the strategy / pace you will need around here. Not that it is easy... you know my struggles this year. Keep it up! Congrats

Thanks! I'm sure your drought will break soon with a bang.

Awesome finds my friend!

I keep track of both: total silver objects and silver coins. 100 silver objects is goal #1. 100 silver coins can be a stretch goal. I hit 100 silver coins in 2018 and 94 last year. It's always a fun challenge trying to see how high you can run that total up!! :)

I can only dream of killing it like you did the past 2 years!

I have 5 silver rings and 1 silver pendant. So combined my current total as of today is 34 dug silvers plus 1 coinstar GW on the year. I'll just combine them moving forward when i mention the digging count.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Yes I use Andres pencils. I should try letting them sit a few days and see if that helps. Good idea!

We'll have to compare totals on December 31st!

Thanks! I'm sure your drought will break soon with a bang.

I can only dream of killing it like you did the past 2 years!

I have 5 silver rings and 1 silver pendant. So combined my current total as of today is 34 dug silvers plus 1 coinstar GW on the year. I'll just combine them moving forward when i mention the digging count.

Oh thanks! I don’t get anywhere near the quality of old targets but I do try to make up for it with quantity!

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HI MH congrats on your great finds. I do enjoy reading your posts but...please don't take me wrong, your AVATAR makes me click away real soon I just can't stand it for more than 5 seconds....just my personal feeling I hope others like it much......good hunting go back for more!!! Did you try to clean the Indianheads just with a toothpick? That sometimes gives better results than water or metal brush.....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100 holy smokes thats a good amount I think my best year was 60

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Louis, I know one well known T-net poster from Pittsburgh counts anything silver as a "silver" for his yearly totals. Personally, I count silver coins and silver jewelry separate, so I am at 7 silver coins and 4 pieces of silver jewelry FTY so far. I keep a tally of all coin finds except clad and wheat cents.
Here are my totals for the year to date:
Cut SpanishSilver -1
SilverWashington Quarters - 1
MercuryDimes – 3
RooseveltDimes – 2
V Nickels -2
BuffaloNickels – 3
Draped BustLarge Cents - 1
Matron HeadLarge Cents – 2
Classic HeadHalf Cents – 1
Flying EaglePennies - 1
Indian HeadPennies – 5
Gold Jewelry– 1
SilverJewelry - 4

Last edited:
OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Louis, I know one well known T-net poster from Pittsburgh counts anything silver as a "silver" for his yearly totals. Personally, I count silver coins and silver jewelry separate, so I am at 7 silver coins and 4 pieces of silver jewelry FTY so far. I keep a tally of all coin finds except clad and wheat cents.
Here are my totals for the year to date:
Cut SpanishSilver -1
SilverWashington Quarters - 1
MercuryDimes – 3
RooseveltDimes – 2
V Nickels -2
BuffaloNickels – 3
Draped BustLarge Cents - 1
Matron HeadLarge Cents – 2
Classic HeadHalf Cents – 1
Flying EaglePennies - 1
Indian HeadPennies – 5
Gold Jewelry– 1
SilverJewelry - 4

I like the variety of your finds in 2020 and how you broke it down by which LC bust and such. I'll post my up to date count on my next post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread