Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. I got out this morning and finished the little field that gave me the second KGII. I hunted about 3 1/2 hours to finish it. It gave me a nice LC as a parting gift! I have 3 large fields to do now. Depending upon the deer hunter situation, maybe I will get to start one of them this winter.
eju7a5at.jpg

hyrezuga.jpg

usezy9yg.jpg

rynepe4a.jpg

4evera5e.jpg

a5yvu8ed.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upvote 9

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Great finds!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery Old Dude! It must have been a thrill to have that oldie turn up under your coil. Its a shame what fertilizers do to field-found coppers. But you know, I really like what you did to clean up the coin. Did you tumble it?

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice recovery Old Dude! It must have been a thrill to have that oldie turn up under your coil. Its a shame what fertilizers do to field-found coppers. But you know, I really like what you did to clean up the coin. Did you tumble it?
No, actually I used the hot peroxide method and a toothpick to take off all I could, then used a weak electrolysis and one of those green no scratch scouring pads used in the kitchen. I keep a close eye on it and once it starts bubbling pretty well, I take it out and use the pad then repeat until satisfactory. I would not try this with a really good coin, but the old ones like this or worse, I don't mind experimenting a little. These are my coppers for the year so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 162

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you explain the hot peroxide method please. I found a large cent today, first one! It's worn pretty smooth but I can slightly make out the head on the front. Not too worried about messing it up as my shovel put a nice scratching on it while digging it up. Thanks.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you explain the hot peroxide method please. I found a large cent today, first one! It's worn pretty smooth but I can slightly make out the head on the front. Not too worried about messing it up as my shovel put a nice scratching on it while digging it up. Thanks.
Sure. Just place a small microwave proof container of ordinary hydrogen peroxide in the microwave until hot. Drop the coin into the solution. You will see it bubble. This means it is removing contaminants from the coin. Let it soak until no action is evident. Once it has soaked a bit, you can take a toothpick and rub any spots you wish to clean further. You can repeat this process ( taking the coin out before reheating the solution, of course ).

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure. Just place a small microwave proof container of ordinary hydrogen peroxide in the microwave until hot. Drop the coin into the solution. You will see it bubble. This means it is removing contaminants from the coin. Let it soak until no action is evident. Once it has soaked a bit, you can take a toothpick and rub any spots you wish to clean further. You can repeat this process ( taking the coin out before reheating the solution, of course ).

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

WHAT? The fireworks is half the fun!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find D! :thumbsup:
I'd love to find an American LC one day. I'd also be interested as how it reads on my AT Pro compared to how Canadian LC's read, usually 85 - 87.

Dave

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find D! :thumbsup:
I'd love to find an American LC one day. I'd also be interested as how it reads on my AT Pro compared to how Canadian LC's read, usually 85 - 87.

Dave

Mine usually ring in a solid copper signal, 79-81 at 6" with 81 GB. The closer they are to the surface the higher they ring.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine usually ring in a solid copper signal, 79-81 at 6" with 81 GB. The closer they are to the surface the higher they ring.

To the best of my memory, this is very close, even though this coin was only a couple inches deep. Thanks to all for your posts. My hunts might be over for the calendar year now. Weather forecasts say very cold for the next several days. I am very happy with my first year hunting and must say I owe everything to you great people here on TNet. Without the pics, advice, tips and great posts overall, I would not have had the good fortune I had. May we all continue to be blessed with good luck and health.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget, your posts, pics and comments were also up there. It all works together, the old and the newer perspectives.

You're well on your way!

Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread