One last suggestion for Marc and the Mods

S

someotherdude

I may be new to this forum but I'm not new to Forums in general. I've been a member of several and some I'm in good longstanding. What Marc has created here far surpasses all of them that I have seen as for looks, ease of use, variety,and thanks to the mods family freindlyness. I am more than Impressed with Marc not only as the owner but just as a person in general. I've read his terrible background story of having been ripped off by some shady dealings. As well as I've heard from some one else here that His ex wife really screwed him big time. Yet I don't here him continually whinning as some others would. I even saw him post what he thought at the time was a legitimate gripe about Bush jr. only to get responses that led him to take a different tack and change his position, and this he did openly on a world wide forum site. I'm not sure how many people here really understand what a special kind of guy that takes.

Well enough of that, down to the brass tacks as the saying goes, I've come here to say good by for awhile and explain why. Hopefully you'll take my last suggestions and make this place the best it can be which In my mind would make it just aboutthe best site of its' kind anywhere on the world wide web. It's simply this, like I said before I'm not new to forums and I've seen more than my share come and go. The number one way I see them fall is the constant in fighting. I'm just as guilty as the next guy of being gullible and easy to bait as you'll see in this Thread http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,168596.0.html

But I'm not complaining about offhanded remarks that people will make in the heat of the moment. Nor am I complaining about being attacked for no reason as you'll see here post #188 and #197 http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,114614.0/all.html#lastPost

What I'm talking about and suggesting it needs to change is the ongoing all day arguments and abuses that take place all over this site. I'm not just talking about the politics and religion forums BTW( nice touch with naming the area the rubber room), but I even found an argument taking place in the Humor forum about wether something should be posted more than once. I'm not talking about lively debate here. I'm talking knock down drag out fights that reminded me of my high school days. If they were talking in person I get the sense it would take an extra ten people with five to hold one back and another five to hold the other one back.

So here's my suggestion; I've seen it work at other forums with the samne kinda problems and not nearly a quarter of the membership. First unload the dead weight. I know noone like the banning process, but with a forum this large it's the one and only way to keep control. Get ride of the repeat offenders, you know who they are and if you don't you really should. I've been here two weeks and I could name quite a few already. It's easy to find them just do a search for key words like Ignorant, idiot, retarded or anyform of that word etc... you get my point.
There are people here who's only purpose is to disrupt and ruin perfectly good discussions. Lastly make it a rule that all posts must stay on point, that way these posts can't degrade into kids school yard fights over things that have nothing to do with the original posts. It's simple really if I wanna take part in a fight I can post in a fighting thread but if I wanna talk to someone about death traps and spanish gold I can, without fear my thread will be highjacked for a fist fight.

I'm gonna leave you with some links to just a small sampling of what I saw yesterday.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,168646.0.html

BTW, there's an awfull lot of people posting despariging remarks about politicians by name. I hope your insurance is up to snuff Marc cause your sure to be named as a defendant in any defamation or slander suit that arise from what someone posts here. I've seen other forums shut down because a court veiw their sites as publications and everything posted there is being published on the www. Thus if some one slanders lets say Barack Obama, who has incidently made it a point to let everyone know they're going after just such things at other websites, you being the owner Marc are considered by the court to be the Final editor and have thus editorial discretion to edit any and all depariging posts etc...etc...

Anyhoo I'm leaving for a short while and then gonna come back and see if anything has improved or changed. Not that I'm demanding anything I'm only one person and I really don't matter in the whole scheme of things. Hmmm or do I ?
May peace be with you always.
Jim

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I maybe missing somethings, but this is just my opinion.

1). Marc and the rest of the moderators due one he-- of a great job with this huge site. It is not easy to police
a site of this size, but they are going a super job.
2). With a site this big that spans the globe, there is bound to be at least one person that does not like a post
or a topic. They are free to post or free not to post. It is their choice.
3). I'm sure that Marc and the moderators will take your suggestion under serious advisement.
4). I hope you find the metal detecting forum site that you are looking for. I for one thinks this is a pretty
darn good site.
5). Sounds like a little boy did not get this way so he is taking his metal detector and going home.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what your problem is.
I checked & Rechecked the links you posted & See nothing
that bad.
I have seen & Deleted worse.
Considering how Large a population we have here
disagreements are bound to happen though.

along with me missing things.
that's where Report to Moderator Helps us decide
whether all or one of us agree it's over the top.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't see anything either.

This is a big site with a lot of members and well it can't suit everyone can it? Better get along with how it is or leave, I for one like it. :thumbsup:

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We here at Tnet. agree to disagree...and some times we agree to agree..sometime.. ;D

Marc, knows that the members don't want a watered down version of Tnet.

And no one is forcing anyone to be here. I just don't see anything wrong with the way
Tnet. is now.

Roadquest

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find this original post .. a tad on the immature side.. yes, theres been arguments amongst members, however the mods do take care of that ... as for political stuff...if the politicians can name names..then we too are entitled to name names in our likes n dislikes.. I think you need to create your own detecting site if you wish to have all that you are asking for.. I see this post as someone not getting their way...

and I am being polite at the moment too.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you're leaving? i didn't even realize you were here. :D

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
jeff of pa said:
I have seen & Deleted worse.
Considering how Large a population we have here
disagreements are bound to happen though.

I feel a big difference is most forums can't handle the level of disagreements we have here. This forum does a much better job than most of keeping the arguments in one corner and the "normal" content in another. (Our older-than-average population might have something to do with that as well)

Also, most forum mods are in it at least partially for their own egos, I haven't seen that come up here at all.

My opinion after 20 years on the net? Keep up the good work :thumbsup: You're doing a better job than I managed to when I've run forums.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
As always - lottsa support for the mods and Marc...

I agree that the rubber rooms are aptly named and moderated. It can get pretty hot in the kitchen! Also - although I blocked that area for over a year I recently went back in there and found it's still a madhouse... it gets my blood pumping! I love the challenge and knowledge there, and learning. It's better than "whats the best detector" arguments!

I'll be blocking it again shortly... so I can focus on the real reason I'm here - to help ID stuff. LOL

Adios Jim (someotherdude)

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Marc, Jeff, PBK, and all others that help run this site...you do a fabulous job! I enjoy checking in on this site almost daily, it is an awesome site for research, ID, and just motivating me in general. I don't get to detect nearly as much as I would like to but getting on here and seeing the items and the stories of how they were found gets my blood pumping and I seem to make time to go more often. Keep up the good work and don't let posts like this put you off. There are way too many satisfied people here to change things to suit 1 or 2 disgruntled folks.

HH Charlie

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I am absolutely staying and also very pleased with the job that Marc and our loved Mods do here. I have been a mod before...a site far smaller and it was a LOT of responsibility and I have nothing but admiration for the great job done here. This is my home...I shall stay, even if there IS a bit of bickering at times....isn't it that way in most homes? and I dare say most homes have FAR fewer people to get along with. lol Great job guys! We love ya!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I perused the new terms of Tnet use today and was quite out of breath when I came to the end---finally! I almost checked the no I do not agree line because of one thing. That would be that the term "ignorant" isn't allowed. I'm the most ignorant guy on here probably and I often read dozens of other ignorant folks posts almost daily. Ignorant isn't a bad term , nor does it have a bad connotation. It merely means that you are not aware or are not cognizant of the facts of the matter. It's no sin to be ignorant, stupid yes, but not ignorant. I personally have a habit of walking a fine line when it comes to family content, but there are others that routinely cross the line. I guess I do it because I am use to corresponding with adults and being an old fart, uh...(can I say "fart"?), I am not as careful with my choice of words as I once was. At least noone has ever p-mailed me and chewed me out for being naughty.... yet. And I certainly don't mind a little spirited debate, mainly because I am always right! :wink: So. in spite of the certainty that I could be banned for some grievous infraction, I will stay and try to keep it down in spite of my past misdeeds. Mainly because I have so many people here who I consider friends even though I have never met most face to face. Thanks for being here for us all to enjoy. M ::) nty

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once heard a story about a guy (not saying any one guy, could be anyone of a thousand) who thought of himself as
a politically correct forum person.
When he found a forum that did not meet his correctness, he would make a post, doing his best to ruin the site for
the other members, and then run away. I guess the old saying of, if it gets to hot, some will run.

Roadquest

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I should at least RESPOND to this so I can see new posts when I click on REPLIES TO MY POSTS! :icon_pirat:

Thanks to everyone for your kind words of support.

Marc

p.s., and I agree, Jeff, PBK and wreckdiver1715 are absolutely AMAZING mods... without them, I am afraid, this site would fall apart!

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello to Mark and the other Mods,
I am just a recent new member. Although I don't know anything about any other forums, I think
this one is really great. Seems to me you guys are doing a great job of running and developing
it. For those like myself that are new to detecting, there have been questions that I have found answers to just by reading some of the posts. I don't have alot of time to be on, but I always look forward to reading the interesting variety of items on here. Seemslike about 99.9% of the people here are like one happy family, all looking after each other.
I commend you Mods for having such a great place for us to come on to.
Thanks for making it available.
Wishing you all the best of health and good hunting, may all your goals be reached.

Ray Karenray08

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread