One long ring, Two short rings

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I was sitting here thinking about stuff and remembering back to being a kid. We had a 6 party phone line with special rings for us and the other 5 neighbors. I can't remember what our special ring was, but did spend some time listening to the neighbors conversations, accidentally of course. Fast forward to 1995, when we had our own line, and a second line for the lightning fast 56K dial-up modem. Now, we have gone without a land line for almost a year and don't even miss it. I wonder what's next in 10 or 20 years?

old-cabin25.jpg

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe we had a party line until 1987 out in the west valley. How are you healing up? When you do give me a shout we'll hit it a lick and see what we can find.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup I remember the old wall mounted rotary dial phone with million foot long cord attached to it. nowadays all the kids have their faces burried in them new I-Gizmos. Bloody zombie apocalypse is here already. Just watch people at the mall, on the street and even in their cars. zombies the whole lot. :D

OP
OP
MT_Joe

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe we had a party line until 1987 out in the west valley. How are you healing up? When you do give me a shout we'll hit it a lick and see what we can find.

Getting better but still on crutches. I need two complete knee replacements, so until that happens I may be stuck on the crutches. Crutches and a detector don't get along very well...LOL I'm dying to get out there some day though.

mountainman22.jpg

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT_Joe, I hope you recover soon.
When I was 12 my mom was raising us. That was the 70s. We had a 2 party phone line. Even at 12, I can remember being embarrassed when calls were interrupted by the "2nd party". Lookin' back, I should have been thankful.
That was then, this is now. Now 12yr olds have smart phones? Crazy.
I think I'm gonna watch television in black n white tonight.
Good luck.
Peace

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A long and two shorts was our ring.....50F12. Up until I was 8 or so we still used the old oak wall phone.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were on a party line too. Did any of you try to dial by hitting the hang up lever the desired amount of times with a small pause between the numbers? It was very doable, took a little practice though.

OP
OP
MT_Joe

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
MT_Joe, I hope you recover soon.
When I was 12 my mom was raising us. That was the 70s. We had a 2 party phone line. Even at 12, I can remember being embarrassed when calls were interrupted by the "2nd party". Lookin' back, I should have been thankful.
That was then, this is now. Now 12yr olds have smart phones? Crazy.
I think I'm gonna watch television in black n white tonight.
Good luck.
Peace

Funny you mention b/w tv. Just watched 2 episodes of Gilligan's Island in B/W!

old-cabin15.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya and the only color our dial phone came in was black. Two short rings was ours.

We were watching Andy Griffin (?) show in black & white.
I don't watch any of the modern ones, drives me nuts!
I should just cancel cable, news is all we watch. They used to have John Wayne, 007, Clint Eastwood, etc. movies on but those are gone too.

MT Joe -hope you get better! It is a royal pain when things stop work'n as we get older!
I can't kneel when digging both knees have arthritis.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can remember the crank telephone and giving numbers like 24F12 to the central office to be connected to the other phone. I really hadn't thought about how old I've gotten until reading this thread lol.
luvsdux

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember my Uncle picking up the phone, turning the crank, then saying, "Maybell, hook me up to Archie." And she did. One Uncle had a crank phone well into the 60's. He lived on Hat Creek in N. Calif. Around the same time you had to get the operator to call my cousin's phone number, which was "El Rancho Cantua Mendota, inside toll service through Fresno." My home phone number was, when the operator asked with a smile in her voice, "Number Please." And I'd say' "549J." I also remember wanting to contact friends that lived in Nevada, but didn't know the number. Called the Nevada operator, told her the peoples name and that they lived on the Carson River near Fallon. She got them for me. Times have changed, but I kind of miss the old days.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
four strait rings was the neighbors down in the gully on tunnel street
ares two rings pause then two rings..Hellow

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our first phone # was 2 digits---91---before that we just told the operator who we needed to talk to.

tennessee

Feb 8, 2013
East tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Worked on 8 party lines, here in Tennessee, from 1970 to 1977. Matter of fact, I had to install an 8 party line to a State Representative that lived in our area. Sure was glad when we converted. They were a pain to run trouble on.

gman7665

Mar 1, 2013
Campville New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL , Yeah I hear Ya ... My hand held wireless communication device aka 'Cell Phone' has more Memory and Gigs than My first P.C....

OP
OP
MT_Joe

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a friend try to give me some hard drives the other day. They were 200mb each. I just laughed.

old-cabin33.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread