One of histories most legendary treasure virtually Forgotten

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful Thread Crow!! Thank you for sharing this with us!:notworthy:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, you knocked it out of the park again!! Thanks for such an interesting and informative thread!! Rest those fingers up...we will all be waiting in anticipation!!

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Members here are all very fortunate to have You, Mathew Roberts, Old Bookaroo................half the reason I come to this site is for the History you folks post about. Thank You for this history post Crow, I never heard of that discovery either.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!!! Thanks for Sharing!!!

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Where on earth did you find all those images and in such high resolution?

Gidday PetesPocket55

In fact I had to lower the resolution as the picture images was too big for many of them to post here size wise. The pictures was sourced from various sources. Some pictures from Egyptian museum. Through email correspondence with various individuals who are passionate about Egypt.

Some pictures was so big and clear you could see fingernail scratches on gold items..

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Amigos

Here is beautiful gold vase....

attachment.php

But if we look carefully we can find some thing very interesting.

attachment.php

We can see In Egyptian hieroglyphs, a cartouche is an oval with a line at one end tangent to the oval, indicating that the text enclosed is a royal name. we have 4 royal names of pharaohs connected to this golden vase.

What can we learn from that? It seems at least pharaohs some times claimed treasures of other pharaohs as there own?

Crow

Attachments

• tffft.JPG
    tffft.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 172
  • cartoughes.JPG
    cartoughes.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 180
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another thing amigos you might find interesting?

Some of the treasure found in Tanis might provide a solution to a mysterious discovery in Denmark?

In July 2015 Archaeologists were mystified by nearly 2,000 tiny golden spirals dug up in a field in eastern Denmark. The coils, made from thin filaments about 3cm (1in) long, date from between 900BC and 700BC, according to Flemming Kaul of the National Museum in Copenhagen.

You can see pictures of the excavation and what they looked cleaned up below.

attachment.php

Strange gold spirals was found.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The gold spirals cleaned up appeared to be stretch and broken up from some thing else?

attachment.php

Its a mystery who they belonged to? Where they came from and for what purpose?

I propose the Hypothesizes they was a looted collar of a Pharaoh from a tomb in Tanis or another tomb part of Egypt over millennia. Either through trade or looting in turn ended up in Denmark. Progressively breaking the original collar apart in course of trade over the thousands of years from Egypt to northern Europe. Until finally getting lost and buried in Denmark.

Those mysterious spirals look very similar to part of collar found at Tanis below...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

In the UK some hoards are of what we call hack silver which is several different silver pieces broken up for their silver not the original object. These finds are common in year and years of looting and re looting.

Its not beyond the realms of possabilty that what is found in Denmark is hack gold looted over millennia. In which indeed may be part of a Collar looted from a Pharaohs tomb?

Crow

Attachments

• C1WszMcXUAAguog.jpg
    C1WszMcXUAAguog.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 198
  • gold-2.jpg
    gold-2.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 191
  • gold-3.jpg
    gold-3.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 192
  • gold-4.jpg
    gold-4.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 122818073_2848538858768352_1906590607417445162_n.jpg
    122818073_2848538858768352_1906590607417445162_n.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 200
  • huuuyhu.JPG
    huuuyhu.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 195
  • hhhj.JPG
    hhhj.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 195

Jeff Beaumont

Apr 16, 2021
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Apex, Garrett 300. Tesoro Cibola.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for sharing, great stuff. As you know England was in a war in 1939 and the focus was on Hitler not treasure hunters in Egypt. The news from most countries in 1939 had to do with atrocities of the Nazi aggression.

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remarkable.

Thanks for the thread Crow.........Amazing research as always.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing, great stuff. As you know England was in a war in 1939 and the focus was on Hitler not treasure hunters in Egypt. The news from most countries in 1939 had to do with atrocities of the Nazi aggression.

Hola amigo it was bad timing indeed when this discovery was made.

Kanacki

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another thing amigos you might find interesting?

Some of the treasure found in Tanis might provide a solution to a mysterious discovery in Denmark?

In July 2015 Archaeologists were mystified by nearly 2,000 tiny golden spirals dug up in a field in eastern Denmark. The coils, made from thin filaments about 3cm (1in) long, date from between 900BC and 700BC, according to Flemming Kaul of the National Museum in Copenhagen.

You can see pictures of the excavation and what they looked cleaned up below.

attachment.php

Strange gold spirals was found.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The gold spirals cleaned up appeared to be stretch and broken up from some thing else?

attachment.php

Its a mystery who they belonged to? Where they came from and for what purpose?

I propose the Hypothesizes they was a looted collar of a Pharaoh from a tomb in Tanis or another tomb part of Egypt over millennia. Either through trade or looting in turn ended up in Denmark. Progressively breaking the original collar apart in course of trade over the thousands of years from Egypt to northern Europe. Until finally getting lost and buried in Denmark.

Those mysterious spirals look very similar to part of collar found at Tanis below...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

In the UK some hoards are of what we call hack silver which is several different silver pieces broken up for their silver not the original object. These finds are common in year and years of looting and re looting.

Its not beyond the realms of possabilty that what is found in Denmark is hack gold looted over millennia. In which indeed may be part of a Collar looted from a Pharaohs tomb?

Crow

Gidday Amigo

There is some thing else in 1974 or there about in Varna in Bulgaria a necropolis was found and in one of the graves was....you guessed it spiral gold in bits you can see below.

attachment.php

Now if we blow the picture up you will see on the top right hand side of the picture.

attachment.php

So you have 3 regions Bulgaria, Denmark and Egypt with very similar if not identical spiral jewelry technique. Coincidence?

Yet with Varna site in Bulgaria there is more.

One of graves had an arm bracelet below

attachment.php

Which looks remarkable similar to bracelet found at Tanis below.

attachment.php

Was it repurposed looted gold taken from tombs in Egypt in antiquity? Perhaps by the Greeks era in Egypt then either through war and conquest, pieces of jewelry was broken down divided either in trade or looted though various hands across all parts of Europe?

Or was it just the gold metal working techniques dispersed from Egypt over time to other cultures in Europe adopting similar jewelry styles?

Crow

Attachments

• sqj_1604_danube_gold_05 varna treasure bulgaria.jpg
    sqj_1604_danube_gold_05 varna treasure bulgaria.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 125
  • sqj_1604_danube_gold_05 spirals.jpg
    sqj_1604_danube_gold_05 spirals.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 128
  • fyytyt 2 varna treasure.JPG
    fyytyt 2 varna treasure.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 123
  • fyytyt.JPG
    fyytyt.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday TC

Nah... just a raggedly old Crow with a few feathers missing. Years of losing them from sticking his beak in places he probably should not have.....

Crow

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday TC

Nah... just a raggedly old Crow with a few feathers missing. Years of losing them from sticking his beak in places he probably should not have.....

Crow

LOL

I was thinking that was a nice of TC to say (a scholar maybe?) and I know he meant it in the nicest possible way, but Ol' Crow probably has something to add.

ps.- I agree with Don Mackay about this thread being "Honorable Mention" worthy because of the effort and followup. :goldtrophy:

Jeff Beaumont

Apr 16, 2021
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Apex, Garrett 300. Tesoro Cibola.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!!!!!!!! Thank you for posting, absolutely fabulous and very interesting.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW!!!!!!!! Thank you for posting, absolutely fabulous and very interesting.
Gidday Jeff

Yes amazing for me too! when I first started researching into the story of the discovery I never heard of it. I only cane across it by chance researching some other things else during Covid 19 lock down.

I was so blown away by the discoveries of 1939 , I had to post it here.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread