One of my all time best thrift store finds

Keilasdad

Aug 22, 2013
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Detector(s) used
El Cheapo Harbor Freight!
Primary Interest:
Other
This was the item that really got me into treasure hunting, and especially Goodwill and thrift shops. Back when I first started reselling, I would easily spend an hour or two looking around picking up $1 or $2 items trying to double or triple my money. Talk about SLOW profit earning.... Anyway, I would always look for things that were interesting, strange, stood out, or otherwise got my attention. I spotted this on one of my goodwill trips:icon_scratch: For those that do not know, this is an American Express Centurion Card. For those that want to party like rockstars, this is what you need. This is the top of the line, cream of the crop, big baller card. Only for the most elite, highly affluent big spenders. The card has an initial $7,500 fee, a yearly fee of $2,500 and has absolutely no limit.
When I saw it, I thought it was just a cool gimmick; something someone would be willing to shell out a few bucks for as a conversation piece.
After doing some research, I found out it might just be worth a bit more than that. First off, people collect old credit cards. As long as they have been expired for at least 10 years, they are 100% legal to sell.
What I found out is that the owner of the card just happened to be an extremely high ranking executive of the company, and was in charge of the Hong Kong division as well as innovative products. This card and plaque was presented to him in celebration of the launch of the card in Hong Kong. They phone numbers on the back were direct contacts to AMEX in Hong Kong, addresses were correct, manufacturer of the card was correct, all security markings spot on. This was the real deal. The card itself was never actually activated, but was a true legit card that was used as a memento.
Still, a really cool historical piece that I had a great time researching. Best of all, I bought it for $2.99 and it sold for over $300! Oh, and 10% was donated back to Goodwill :thumbsup: Granted, knowing what I know now, I am sure I could have gotten MUCH more for it, but it was a fun learning experience!
IMG_2803.JPG

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wow...nice find!

I've never seen anything like that.

Thanks for sharing a cool find and your story about it!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye and a great score. You should have donated the 10% to a real charity though. Goodwill is a business and the bulk of profits go to upper management. Meanwhile they pay some of their workers BELOW minimun wage.

Jeevez

Aug 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And here I was proud of my rat pack finds....this is pretty amazing, can't believe you found it at a thrift shop. Just goes to show how awesome these little stores can be....people so overlook them...well they did until that guy made that song.

lookin-for-treasure

Jun 30, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was the item that really got me into treasure hunting, and especially Goodwill and thrift shops. Back when I first started reselling, I would easily spend an hour or two looking around picking up $1 or $2 items trying to double or triple my money. Talk about SLOW profit earning.... Anyway, I would always look for things that were interesting, strange, stood out, or otherwise got my attention. I spotted this on one of my goodwill trips:icon_scratch: For those that do not know, this is an American Express Centurion Card. For those that want to party like rockstars, this is what you need. This is the top of the line, cream of the crop, big baller card. Only for the most elite, highly affluent big spenders. The card has an initial $7,500 fee, a yearly fee of $2,500 and has absolutely no limit.
When I saw it, I thought it was just a cool gimmick; something someone would be willing to shell out a few bucks for as a conversation piece.
After doing some research, I found out it might just be worth a bit more than that. First off, people collect old credit cards. As long as they have been expired for at least 10 years, they are 100% legal to sell.
What I found out is that the owner of the card just happened to be an extremely high ranking executive of the company, and was in charge of the Hong Kong division as well as innovative products. This card and plaque was presented to him in celebration of the launch of the card in Hong Kong. They phone numbers on the back were direct contacts to AMEX in Hong Kong, addresses were correct, manufacturer of the card was correct, all security markings spot on. This was the real deal. The card itself was never actually activated, but was a true legit card that was used as a memento.
Still, a really cool historical piece that I had a great time researching. Best of all, I bought it for $2.99 and it sold for over $300! Oh, and 10% was donated back to Goodwill :thumbsup: Granted, knowing what I know now, I am sure I could have gotten MUCH more for it, but it was a fun learning experience!
View attachment 857211

Cool Story...love hearing about great finds!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice and good eye. I would have snatched that up myself. Old credit cards are good too. Especially the original American Express cards from 1959. I just sold a lot of 5 old credit cards that I got at an estate sale. They brought a little over $26. Not bad for free.

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good eye and a great score. You should have donated the 10% to a real charity though. Goodwill is a business and the bulk of profits go to upper management. Meanwhile they pay some of their workers BELOW minimun wage.

I was gonna say the same thing. I met the guy who owns several in my area, he was driving an Escalade, flashing four big rocks on his fingers and wearing some very expensive looking shoes. He was only interested in our super hi dollar firearms. Could all have been for show but... My donations now go to Salvation Army.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I was sitting a bar a couple of weeks ago when the woman next to me paid her tab with one. She had looks that matched the card. Breathtaking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread