One of these is fake, but it reads 85 on my AT gold.the Troy ounce reads 86 the other dollar a 92. My question is why does it read the same as the tro

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
IMG_20220327_105448414.jpg

Upvote 5

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top is the fake I believe as there was no coins printed in cc in 88
The number read out on the metal detector is not telling you what the metal is. It is giving you a reading of it’s electric conductivity.

I could come up with a chunk of lead, a chunk of steel, aluminum brass or bronze. I could have the metal of almost any composition, and depending on its size, or alloy composition, I can get it to read the same as a silver dollar.

The number read out on your metal detector is not the be-all end-all indicator on what your coin is made out of.

You would need to do a weight test, a diameter test, a scratch test, a sniff test :-)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The number read out on the metal detector is not telling you what the metal is. It is giving you a reading of it’s electric conductivity.

I could come up with a chunk of lead, a chunk of steel, aluminum brass or bronze. I could have the metal of almost any composition, and depending on its size, or alloy composition, I can get it to read the same as a silver dollar.

The number read out on your metal detector is not the be-all end-all indicator on what your coin is made out of.

You would need to do a weight test, a diameter test, a scratch test, a sniff test :-)
Very true, the readout is the conductivity of the target, not the metallic composition of the target.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So what my understanding of the title is top coin is a 85, middle coin is a 86, bottom coin is a 92
Hard to tell but the top and middle look like they both have wear through areas showing a different colour.
Bottom seems to be the same toning throughout.
Just throwing this out for thought-not saying it is or isn't.
Top/middle brass composite
Bottom is silver

OP
OP
L

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021

Thank you for the explanation

OP
OP
L

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
T
So what my understanding of the title is top coin is a 85, middle coin is a 86, bottom coin is a 92
Hard to tell but the top and middle look like they both have wear through areas showing a different colour.
Bottom is silver
He top is 1888 cc I believe it's a Chinese fake. There were no 88 cc coins printed. To the touch the weight feels the same,they sound the same etc. I don't want to take it anywhere in fear they will "confiscate" it meaning they take it out of circulation and keep it in their collection.

OP
OP
L

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
Bottom is silver
Yes that is correct that's how they read on the AT gold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread