Only crazy people break out the ice to detect!…...

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you just have to scratch the itch! This boy is one of them. Every year a friend and I get on the neoprene waders and head for the river. First place we found was all froze up. Since it was 19 degrees that made sense and we here in MI are having a way colder than normal Feb. Keith and I found ourselves breaking out 3" thick ice that we could stand on. We would break off several pieces then float them downstream, some were as big as a car. We would then detect that cleared spot then do it all again. First target of the year was the silver ear ring in the pic. We found several items then tried another spot that had almost no ice but was a tad deeper and faster water. A couple days later I went to another stream that I hit once or twice a year that produces several coins and other stuff. In the pics you will notice 60 some coins, in there was a 44 wheat cent. There was also a model T spark plug and many other neat treasures. The best find was an old token
( Good for a pack of cigarettes ) This dates in the 30's - 50's. We had fun and will do it again. SAFETY NOTE!!! If you plan to try this in the frozen north, always have a friend with you, wear neoprene for warmth, don't go too deep or into fast water.

Attachments

• photo 1 copy 2.JPG
    photo 1 copy 2.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC02865.JPG
    DSC02865.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC02867.JPG
    DSC02867.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC02866.JPG
    DSC02866.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 135
  • photo-9.JPG
    photo-9.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 114

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol - you guys are die hards!! Love it! Congrats on the cool token, coins and Silver ear ring too! :thumbsup:Haven't seen a token like that.
How did ya know the plug was from a model T?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Extreme detecting! I love it and your finds too!

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I do in winter. Not that much open water here in michigan

OP
OP
Mike from MI

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol - you guys are die hards!! Love it! Congrats on the cool token, coins and Silver ear ring too! :thumbsup:Haven't seen a token like that.
How did ya know the plug was from a model T?
It best matches the ones I researched. :thumbsup:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Looks like a gas cap off a Pinto! That Mod T spark plug should have a copper core. Good luck.

hoser

Jan 11, 2006
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AtPro
Awesome finds for sure. Kinda hard core for this old man. The Ausable river where I live is frozen over, so even if I did want to hunt it would be a no go. I plan on hitting it when it warms up just a ad.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds and the cool token, Mike. :icon_thumleft: You and Keith be careful out there!

HH

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Mike, sometimes ya just gotta. Nice token!

bigblockjohn454

Jun 4, 2013
S.W.Michigan
Detector(s) used
MPX Digital, Garrett Pro Pointer, Gator Digger, 10" & 14" Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, you and Keith are justifiably crazy! But, it turns up great finds. Congrats to both of you. Be careful!

Lori999

Oct 15, 2012
Northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I have to hand it to you! I walked down to the river near my house in Ohio (one of my favorite places to relic hunt and detect), snow up past my knees. I just stood there enjoying the view and wishing it was Spring. You did something about it, good for you!

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome bunch of finds you got from them creeks and rivers Mike :thumbsup: I still haven't bought me a pair of waders yet but I doubt you'd catch me out there during a February like we had this year, that's just too darned cold for these old bones :)

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah man that's nuts!!! Congrats on those keepers though I like that cigarette pack token!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread