Only Fooled Once

Ghost777

Greenie
May 2, 2018
NM
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, DFX, Garrett pinpointer, Whites 5000D, Whites 6000D Series 3, D-tex Tiny Tex detector BFO first unit.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just something that happened to me a ways back when I had purchased my first Whites detector. It was a 5000D and at the time probably one of the best detectors made in some opinions. Well, I had been using this detector for several months and was kinda getting the feel of it and how it responded in the field, so I was in a local park where I hit on a really good solid tone....you all know that tone....the one that says Im down here and its gonna be good.....well....at the time the only digging tool that I had at my disposal was a 12 inch long screwdriver and, actually did a pretty good job at the time....I proceeded to dig this item and so at 6 inches, nothing....i ran my detector over it again and it blasted me again with that nice solid tone......I dug another 3 inches....still nothing.....ran the detector over the hole.....Its gone!!....What....so I ran it over the dirt I dug....Nothing!
Now wait a minute.....this was a solid....I mean solid return and now its gone???? Okay.....let me check all around the immediate area and maybe it popped out and landed in the grass........NOTHING!!! Getting desperate now....I ran my detector over the hole again and the dirt mound....nothing??? Ok maybe it was a hot rock, halo effect from some old Rusted iron....I had no clue....all I knew is that it was gone......
Well, I placed all the dirt back in the hole....plug back.....picked up my detector....picked up my screwdriver....and whats this????? The target I had been desperately looking for was yes.....on my screwdriver....My screwdriver went right through a Gold Masonic Ring...My eyes opened wide and man, a gold ring.....what every detectorist hopes for....After getting back home and cleaning the ring up, It appeared that the gold ring had a small diamond chip in the center....but alas...the ring was not solid gold but only plated......But you know....still it was a great find and will always remember that day...I also learned abit of a lesson as well......learn your detector....learn how it reacts, and become one with it....learn all you can about your detector and it will pay you back ten fold.....Even some of the cheaper detectors can shine if used by a person that really knows his or her machine.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Pictures are worth a thousand words.Nice day.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
G

Ghost777

Greenie
May 2, 2018
NM
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, DFX, Garrett pinpointer, Whites 5000D, Whites 6000D Series 3, D-tex Tiny Tex detector BFO first unit.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I had pics of that find but unfortunately this was back when there were no cell phones, didn't take conventional pics either....I will admit as well I did not document my finds at that time and not sure why....guess Detecting was not an everyday thing with me back then. I went out on weekends from time to time, cut like I said in my initial post, work, kids, and other hobbies kept me from dedicating myself totally to Metal Detecting.....I had a lot of other interest going through those years, but always loved detecting....and now that I am approaching retirement, and abandoned a lot of my other interest, well maybe I can become more serious in my detecting. Also like I had said, I was a arm chair enthusiast through a lot of those years but I did manage to keep up with the hobby so to speak.
I used to have a friend in El Paso Texas back then and we would swap off weekends, when I would go down to El Paso, next Weekend He would come up to my neck of the woods....but those days were awhile back....I think back in the 70's.

OP
OP
G

Ghost777

Greenie
May 2, 2018
NM
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes Pics are worth a thousand words, and from this point on it will be much easier to document the finds......I will have to say that there things to find out here in the South West but not like back east.....Back east there is so much more concentrated history than there is out here......just my observation over the years.....
Sure there is Spanish influence, but that is Sparse and spread out over great distances.......Back east....much more concentration of history due to Revolutionary, Civil wars, colonization from Europe and all.....

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it was long before people were taking pictures . When mentioned a Whites 5000

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still have mine. Mint condition, too. 😁

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had that happen a couple of times. Once i had stabbed some tin foil with my screwdriver probe, and another time a magnet attached its self to my probe.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread