Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out after work yesterday for a couple of hours, and tried knocking on the door of a house that supposedly goes back into the 1700s here in town. The owner was really nice and interested in history; he explained that the house (which looks very updated) sits on the original 1700s foundation, but the rest of that original house is long-gone.
I asked to detect the front yard areas (he had a dog in the fenced backyard that was not happy I was there), and the front is where I focused my attention.

I honestly was disappointed for most of the hunt since I was only finding Lincoln cents (half wheat, half memorial) and other more modern stuff. And half the front yard was undetectable because the power from the street came in through that area, making the EMI almost unmanageable. But I did manage to find the nice sterling Catholic crucifix shown below in that EMI area.

Toward the end of the hunt I tried an area I had skipped at first, and boom - the 1891 Seated Dime popped out. She was alone, unfortunately. Not even an Indian Head Cent in the area to join her.
I wasn't even going to post - nothing too special about a last-year-of-issue Seated Dime, but then I noticed that this dime I found is in really nice shape. There's still a lot of detail there, especially on the obverse. I realized this because I offered this dime to the homeowner, and he gladly accepted. My method is that when a homeowner keeps a coin I find, I then go on eBay to buy an equivalent coin for my collection. Well, you can buy plenty of 1891 Seated Dimes, but almost all of them are very well worn. Only when you look in the $30-40 range do you find ones that are similar to the one I found.
I did end up ordering one last night that looks almost exactly like the one I found and gave away - $30+$1.95 shipping.

I know some of you will think this approach is stupid. "Metal detecting should make you money, not COST you money!" some will say.

But to me, this approach makes me happy. The homeowner is happy, the person selling a Seated Dime on eBay is happy, and I'm happy knowing I found the coin.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the story and pics.

- Brian

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

Upvote 44

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out after work yesterday for a couple of hours, and tried knocking on the door of a house that supposedly goes back into the 1700s here in town. The owner was really nice and interested in history; he explained that the house (which looks very updated) sits on the original 1700s foundation, but the rest of that original house is long-gone.
I asked to detect the front yard areas (he had a dog in the fenced backyard that was not happy I was there), and the front is where I focused my attention.

I honestly was disappointed for most of the hunt since I was only finding Lincoln cents (half wheat, half memorial) and other more modern stuff. And half the front yard was undetectable because the power from the street came in through that area, making the EMI almost unmanageable. But I did manage to find the nice sterling Catholic crucifix shown below in that EMI area.

Toward the end of the hunt I tried an area I had skipped at first, and boom - the 1891 Seated Dime popped out. She was alone, unfortunately. Not even an Indian Head Cent in the area to join her.
I wasn't even going to post - nothing too special about a last-year-of-issue Seated Dime, but then I noticed that this dime I found is in really nice shape. There's still a lot of detail there, especially on the obverse. I realized this because I offered this dime to the homeowner, and he gladly accepted. My method is that when a homeowner keeps a coin I find, I then go on eBay to buy an equivalent coin for my collection. Well, you can buy plenty of 1891 Seated Dimes, but almost all of them are very well worn. Only when you look in the $30-40 range do you find ones that are similar to the one I found.
I did end up ordering one last night that looks almost exactly like the one I found and gave away - $30+$1.95 shipping.

I know some of you will think this approach is stupid. "Metal detecting should make you money, not COST you money!" some will say.

But to me, this approach makes me happy. The homeowner is happy, the person selling a Seated Dime on eBay is happy, and I'm happy knowing I found the coin.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the story and pics.

- Brian

View attachment 2075308
View attachment 2075307
View attachment 2075310
View attachment 2075309
That sterling cross is a knock out of the park beautiful....and probably the owner will let you come back and you can keep your next finds....what a thrill for the owner!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread