Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out after work yesterday for a couple of hours, and tried knocking on the door of a house that supposedly goes back into the 1700s here in town. The owner was really nice and interested in history; he explained that the house (which looks very updated) sits on the original 1700s foundation, but the rest of that original house is long-gone.
I asked to detect the front yard areas (he had a dog in the fenced backyard that was not happy I was there), and the front is where I focused my attention.

I honestly was disappointed for most of the hunt since I was only finding Lincoln cents (half wheat, half memorial) and other more modern stuff. And half the front yard was undetectable because the power from the street came in through that area, making the EMI almost unmanageable. But I did manage to find the nice sterling Catholic crucifix shown below in that EMI area.

Toward the end of the hunt I tried an area I had skipped at first, and boom - the 1891 Seated Dime popped out. She was alone, unfortunately. Not even an Indian Head Cent in the area to join her.
I wasn't even going to post - nothing too special about a last-year-of-issue Seated Dime, but then I noticed that this dime I found is in really nice shape. There's still a lot of detail there, especially on the obverse. I realized this because I offered this dime to the homeowner, and he gladly accepted. My method is that when a homeowner keeps a coin I find, I then go on eBay to buy an equivalent coin for my collection. Well, you can buy plenty of 1891 Seated Dimes, but almost all of them are very well worn. Only when you look in the $30-40 range do you find ones that are similar to the one I found.
I did end up ordering one last night that looks almost exactly like the one I found and gave away - $30+$1.95 shipping.

I know some of you will think this approach is stupid. "Metal detecting should make you money, not COST you money!" some will say.

But to me, this approach makes me happy. The homeowner is happy, the person selling a Seated Dime on eBay is happy, and I'm happy knowing I found the coin.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the story and pics.

- Brian

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

Upvote 44

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
I got out after work yesterday for a couple of hours, and tried knocking on the door of a house that supposedly goes back into the 1700s here in town. The owner was really nice and interested in history; he explained that the house (which looks very updated) sits on the original 1700s foundation, but the rest of that original house is long-gone.
I asked to detect the front yard areas (he had a dog in the fenced backyard that was not happy I was there), and the front is where I focused my attention.

I honestly was disappointed for most of the hunt since I was only finding Lincoln cents (half wheat, half memorial) and other more modern stuff. And half the front yard was undetectable because the power from the street came in through that area, making the EMI almost unmanageable. But I did manage to find the nice sterling Catholic crucifix shown below in that EMI area.

Toward the end of the hunt I tried an area I had skipped at first, and boom - the 1891 Seated Dime popped out. She was alone, unfortunately. Not even an Indian Head Cent in the area to join her.
I wasn't even going to post - nothing too special about a last-year-of-issue Seated Dime, but then I noticed that this dime I found is in really nice shape. There's still a lot of detail there, especially on the obverse. I realized this because I offered this dime to the homeowner, and he gladly accepted. My method is that when a homeowner keeps a coin I find, I then go on eBay to buy an equivalent coin for my collection. Well, you can buy plenty of 1891 Seated Dimes, but almost all of them are very well worn. Only when you look in the $30-40 range do you find ones that are similar to the one I found.
I did end up ordering one last night that looks almost exactly like the one I found and gave away - $30+$1.95 shipping.

I know some of you will think this approach is stupid. "Metal detecting should make you money, not COST you money!" some will say.

But to me, this approach makes me happy. The homeowner is happy, the person selling a Seated Dime on eBay is happy, and I'm happy knowing I found the coin.

- Brian

View attachment 2075308
View attachment 2075307
View attachment 2075310
View attachment 2075309
Thanks for sharing

That coin is in a very good condition,

😎👍🏽

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

- Brian

View attachment 2075308
View attachment 2075307
View attachment 2075310
View attachment 2075309
Nice dime. Great post. Thanks for sharing

martyvem

Greenie
Jan 24, 2023
Ocean View, De
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

- Brian

View attachment 2075308
View attachment 2075307
View attachment 2075310
View attachment 2075309
Brian,
I really liked your story, and you are correct, you made everyone happy! I checked out an old farm yesterday, found close to 50 coins, Pennies, nickles, dimes & quarters and 1 ring. Only a few pennies were wheat pennies and I was surprised that nothing was older! Oh well, tomorrow is another day! I’m in Delaware near the beach, always hoping to find some old history!
Marty

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the interesting post and clear pictures of a fine coin. If you are having fun, do not apologize for being unconventional. I like what you do!
I, too, have found some old houses that give up surprisingly little even though they have not been disturbed much. Maybe some people are neater around their houses than others! And maybe some don't have much change to lose.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

- Brian

View attachment 2075308
View attachment 2075307
View attachment 2075310
View attachment 2075309
Brian, I think your method of working with the homeowner and then getting a replacement for yourself is perfect. Keeping the owner happy helps your reputation as a detectorist and in the long run gets you more permissions and more opportunities to make finds. If you want to spend some of the money you find on a replacement coin for your collection it makes perfect sense to me.

It may have been a disappointment, but it was still a good hunt and I’m sure you had some fun digging up the silvers. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

- Brian

View attachment 2075308
View attachment 2075307
View attachment 2075310
View attachment 2075309
Nice saves Brian!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it sounds silly at all. I remember my first 1800s dated Indian head cent, the homeowner was quick to grab it out of the finds pile. My first thought was to go buy one exactly like it or even a little better shape one and see if they would trade me. I wanted that Indian from the dirt so bad. Never happened for me though....but that would be my preferred way of settling the dug coin trade off deal....if we can call it that. But I think you did good either way, keep doing what you're doin:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread